Non contact length measurement

I could not find anything googling for what Alaric mentioned either. It must be a brand new development, perhaps in a trade rag?
It was in their product demo trailer that they drag all over the country. We're working with them on an RFID project and I guess they thought they saw other sales opportunities so they hauled it over to show us what they had. I don't see it on their website, that doesn't mean its not there though because their web site is a PITA to find things on.

Here it is. http://www.pepperl-fuchs.co.uk/sele...f;jsessionid=EC18AF6DE3136CF6FB444C4546599307

Peperl-Fuchs Soln

Alaric - thanks a lot. I actually emailed them and learned that this sensor is much less expensive than the laser systems. They are about $750 and some type of counter/controller is needed to count the pulses. They were pretty helpful.

Thanks for an option

CBOWMAN - Thanks a lot for posting an option. I can look into that. For now, we are trying out a standard encoder, but I'll keep your option in the back of my mind.

No Prob... I sent you a PM with the contact info for the local guy in the Carolina's.

What type of encoder are you using? How did you end up setting it up?

What is your application ? Are you trying to measure the level of liquid in a tank ?
If so , you can try Radar Level transmitter of Rosemount or Endress Hausser. or Ultrasonic level transmitter.
The cost of radar radar trx is around 1500 USD.

I know this is an old thread, so apologies for the revival... and also the fact that my solution is slightly OT as far as PLC's go...

This wouldn't I imagine meet the OP's requirements, accuracy for one I havn't calculated yet. But today I have written a labVIEW program which converts your laser mouse input into distance. You don't need labVIEW installed to run it, I may post my solution as an executable, once I'm finished developing, if anyone is interested...?