Non-contact voltage detectors

Don't like tic tracers. DMM is the only way and I always test it before and after (but sometimes not on the same voltage).

Not trying to sound like a smart A$$ but what does a lineman use to check for power when he is up a pole? A DMM?
Yes and No. To test voltage, I have used the Chance Supertester, but I have also phase in 13800 volts with a DMM. See if this link works.

http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/view/pageViewer.asp?pageID=1255

Please don't suggest that people should be testing for 14KV voltage with a DMM without some sort of explanation. MANY people have been killed trying to do this. An employee of my former company died trying to measure his safe working distance from a 72KV power line on an aluminum step ladder with a conductive measuing tape.

The link you provided showed a fancy high voltage "non contact" voltage tester commonly known as a ticker.

I do use a high quality pocket ticker quite regularly. I trust it as much as I do my DMM. On circuits above 120V I use both and I ALWAYS test both of them on a live ciruit before diving in.

There are many reasons a DMM can fail even more than a ticker. Some of them include bad leads, leads not plugged in, etc.......

With a DMM if the battery goes dead it doesn't light up, with a ticker if the battery goes dead it doesn't light up or beep. The difference being that if your DMM doesn't light up you know the battery is probably dead.

As far a the original post regarding arc flash, I'm not sure how this even entered the equation but I think this is another subject altogether and shouldn't relate.

With any product used for checking for lethal voltage the rule remains the same. Test it on a known power source, Test it on the subject piece of equipment, and then check it again on a known source. After you have done this, check it again.

Kevin(spark) said:
I got something similar to the Fluke VoltAlert™ 1AC that also indicates magnetic fields.
That MAGNO-VOLT is pretty expensive to find out if a Solenoid is energized.
Isn't that what a Machinist's scale is for?
€7.86 for a AAA battery...:eek: are they kidding?

Yeah, Not its not always the cheapest company to order from, but they have a large stocklist and its easier to buy from them than to get the accounting dept to set up an account with another supplier. (€7.86 is for a pack of 10 which isn't too bad over here)

I'm fortunate that the company pays for these things, especially if there is a bit left over in the budget at the end of the yea. If it was my own money I'd probably get by without it (before I got it I used a cheap screwdriver and could feel the magnetic pull as the coil energised).

Please don't suggest that people should be testing for 14KV voltage with a DMM without some sort of explanation. MANY people have been killed trying to do this. An employee of my former company died trying to measure his safe working distance from a 72KV power line on an aluminum step ladder with a conductive measuing tape.

Nowhere did I suggest any such thing. A question was asked (by you) and I answered it. If anyone suggested it, it would have been you. My link showed the proper tools for doing the job.

allscott said:
The link you provided showed a fancy high voltage "non contact" voltage tester commonly known as a ticker.

No it does not. Unless when I pull it up there is a different page, it shows a standard "CONTACT" meter. These are used in high voltage work. I am only providing the answer to your question. Would it have been better for me to respond that since I don't know how much training you have that I won't answer the question? I'm not sure what you are getting at but I for one take high voltage safety very seriously.