Norrowing down PLC training schools?

plcinterest

I am getting closer to graduation of my Electronics technician course and want to immediately start a PLC training program. I just have no idea which program to take. I like the George Brown college PLC course but am not sold on it. Does anyone know anything about the "Thomas Edison state college" PLC program, that is one that I like very much? Then there is PLC training by "interconnecting automation" but their website is a bit confusing. Also PLC training straight from Allen Bradley but their website is a bit confusing too. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that website you sent me to is $2,250 for a five day course? Am I reading that right? Seems a but much for 5 days, and 5 days doesn't seem like enough time to learn PLC's, that's for sure. Is a certificate from those guys respected by industry? Thanks again guys.

Then there is PLC training by "interconnecting automation"
mainly automation direct stuff I know a guy who went to Doug's class and came out with a great grasp of things!
I would have to put my 2 cents for Ron's boot camp just from what I have seen here on the forum. give him a call or pm him I am sure he can advise you on a path

Is a certificate from those guys respected by industry?
can't say however no certificate will make you a good programmer! its what you learn and more importantly retain in the time alloted that counts.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that website you sent me to is $2,250 for a five day course? Am I reading that right? Seems a but much for 5 days, and 5 days doesn't seem like enough time to learn PLC's, that's for sure. Is a certificate from those guys respected by industry? Thanks again guys.

The first link is software that cost about $35 USD

http://thelearningpit.com/lp/buyakey.asp

The second one is also software that cost about $200 USD

http://www.koldwater.com/index1.html

Ron really has been staple of this community. Seriously, just search the forum for the guy, his posts are amazing. While you are at it Google him. I've never heard a bad thing about his training. In my opinion, I'd say take the class. I wouldn't be able to suggest a place that will give you better practical knowledge for the money.

I'm not questioning his knowledge or the greatness of the program. I am worried about me not being able to pick this up in 5 days. I mean I have never worked on or been around a PLC, I'm scared I'll pay $2,250 and in 5 days have no idea what I just learned. I love that its 5 days in a way, I really don't have 32 weeks or 6 months to be going through another course. I REALLY need to take my ET diploma and PLC certificate to work and make some money. Who knows what to do? I may call his website today. If Ron Beauford sees this, feel free to PM me? Thanks again for all the help.

I have never worked on or been around a PLC
buy you a trainer to play with it will go a long way in helping to retain anything you learn in any course. there are lots of free software out there too. take a look at the click from automation direct or a micro from AB.

I am worried about me not being able to pick this up in 5 days..

You will not be able to learn everything in 5 days... but thats the point of Ron's class, he will push you to learn and learn more then you thought and you will walk away with knowing more then most.

Back when I worked for a manufacture I sent a couple of maintenance personal to his class and could not of been more happy with the end result.. now I send customers he way all the time, I just had a customer (Vince) that I sent his way and he was very happy with the outcome

I have also sold a few trainers to Ron's customers that wanted to continue the learning after the classes and stay sharp

The idea with all of this is for you to get comfortable enough to go into a program and know what you are looking at and figure out what you need to do to make everyone happy

These are the trainers I sell http://www.ind-concepts.com/PLC_Trainers.htm

@ The OP

I will say this. I have never had the priviledge of attending one of Ron's classes yet but I can tell you from his forum posts and the fre help he hs given me over hte phone on several occasions that if Ron can't make you undertand it then no one else will even come close and you may as well forget this career path.

Ron has some of the best abilities to take complex subjets and make them easy to undrstand that I have ever encountered.

You money will be well spent to get 5 days hands on training with Ron Beaufort.

@OP,

I attended his Contrologix Class last October, and I can attest to the fact that you will learn and retain more than enough to get started in this industry. In my class were two house builders who have never seen the inside of a manufacturing plant let alone a PLC, and by the end of the week they had more competence than some electricians I know who have been using PLCs for years.

Read his website, look at the sample lesson videos on you tube and you will see how he teaches. His class is well worth the money spent. I have taken college classes and an AB class and you will understand more about PLCs on the first day than those classes will teach in their entirety.

Good Luck

Well thank you for the suggestion of the Ron Beaufort PLC training but you failed to mention one big thing. He generally doesn't accept individuals into the program. He mostly, like almost all of his students are sent to him by their employers. So that was a dead end. I think Thomas Edison state college is going to be the way I go. It'll just take god only knows how long to finish. Time that I kinda don't have. Thanks again for the help.