Norrowing down PLC training schools?

first to the OP ...

So that was a dead end.

it's only a "dead end" because you've chosen to ignore my offer to talk with you by phone ... if you can't afford to pay for the call, just email your number and I'll place the call from my end ... my offer to talk with you was (and remains) completely sincere ...

as I said in my email – I'm working on projects right now – and I have a pressing deadline ... I have time to talk – but not to type ...

and now to everyone else ...

thank you for the very kind compliments – I truly do appreciate them ...

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the help, I appreciate it very much. Maybe sometime I will call you, again I appreciate the help very much.

You just missed an opportunity to be better than most out there!
......I know the level that most CCs teach, I are one!

I'm sure he is a great guy, he was very nice to me, I'm certain he is a GREAT teacher but things happen. I'm sure I will find a good program, I am most likely going to the Thomas Edison state college PLC program. TESC is well respected by industry. Thanks for all the help, especially Ron, I appreciate it very much.

Sign Me Up for Ron 101

I've never had the Pleasure of making Ron's Acquaintance, and I'm not exactly new to Industry or Programming Logic. But I know that no amount of "TIME" will ever stop the Machine from changing. If I stop Learning, I stop Earning! So Ron, at your earliest convenience, PM me your # & I'll take a Consultation from what seems to be a Highly Regarded Pillar of this Institution we all call PLCS.net. I have a manual, free software, a laptop, and Determination! Forward I Go.(y)

RE: PLC Course

Hey guys,

I know George Brown was mentioned before about some concerns regarding their PLC course, but after taking it I can vouch it. I've shopped around a bit at other courses but didn't quite get what the GBC course gave me.

At the end it's entirely up to you, here's their website for anyone interested in taking a peek; http://www.plctechnician.com

If anyone can recommend a better one, let me know! I'm always keen for learning more.

George Brown College Cert US vs Canada

I live in IL, after talking with them and going through their web site info, I don't believe their college credits for their PLCTECH cert carry over to the US. I am also interested in their program, but am unsure how it would be received in the US market place during an interview.

@dwatts57: have you checked into other PLC programs? I've thought abut the GBC one, but also not sure about the credits coming over.

Ron has said himself that his classes are geared more towards the maintenance side of plc's rather than the step by step how to side. With that said:
1) I would recommend buying a cheap trainer from the source of your choice. I know the Learning Pit has some at a decent price, but there are a lot of choices, and I've never bought one myself, you can decide on your own what to choose.

2) Get a book or two or three on programing. Again there are a ton of choices including many for sale right here on this site. If you have never looked at the very top of these pages, you might want to scroll on up there and take a look around. There is some good information up there.

3) Take the time to work through the lessons from the book(s) you bought. There is no better teacher than sitting down and writing your own programs. Start with the basic traffic light and work up from there. Doing is the best teacher there is.

4) Ask questions here.

As you progress, you will get stuck. You will get confused. And you will have times that you want to throw the trainer, your computer, and anything with a cord attached to it out the tallest window you can find. We've all been there, and know how it feels. When you get stuck, post the program you are working on, (zip it first. forum rules) and let people know what is tripping you up and what you have tried in order to get through the issue. If you show that you are trying, and not looking for someone to do the work for you, you will get an amazing amount of help. People like Ron, Lancie, George, Ken, BCS, Genius, and a whole host of others will bend over backwards to help you. They will happily share what they know, and you will get much more help than you will from any online or in person class. I have personally been to over half a dozen VERY expensive Rockwell classes, and I can say without a doubt, I have learned more here than I did there, and for a lot less money.

Thats my two cents...

Will.

Last edited:
I live in IL, after talking with them and going through their web site info, I don't believe their college credits for their PLCTECH cert carry over to the US. I am also interested in their program, but am unsure how it would be received in the US market place during an interview.

GBC has degree paths with several US colleges including University of Indiana. I'm considering going that route simply because these day so much weight is give to the piece of paper, no matter where it came from, or how smart the person is holding it.

Will.

I just completed Ron's Controllogic class last month, and can assure you what you will learn from him in 5 days is worth a heck of a lot more than what he charges for the class.

I have been exposed to and working around PLC's on and off for the past 6 years.
I was self taught, picking up what I could off the Net and the Forums and I had equipment and software at my disposal to set up on a bench and practice real world applications.

I don't think the time I spent learning on my own was a waste but I wish I would have taken his class first and than spent the past six years building on the knowlage and confidence I recieved from Ron's PLC Bootcamp.

I learned more in 5 days at his class than I did in six years poking at it with a stick on my own.
For those wondering if the class is worth the cost.... Think about that, six years is a long time.....time you will never get back! If you can learn the same and more in 5 days......$2400 seems pretty darn cheap when you look at it that way,doesn't it?

I too had some of the same reservations when first thinking of taking this course....I was not exactly a beginner and thought I should maybe start at an intermediate level.
Well let me tell you, with the way the Boot Camp is layed out and Ron's unique teaching style, I started learning new things before lunch on the first day and kept learning the entire week.
It is hard to put into words everything you will gain from taking Rons class, but I can assure you that no matter if you are a green nubbie or someone who is experienced, you will get much, much more than you pay for from taking this class.

BCS