Numeric display vs Text object

JZerb

Working in FTVS10 and was just curious as to other people’s preferences and perhaps some logical reasoning as to why you would use one over the other? A numeric display or a text object with a numeric tag variable in it. Just to display a simple number on the screen.

Neither.
I use multi-state indicators with variables embedded in them.
The numeric display is just plain useless, and the text one not much better.

Interesting. So say you had an operator set a timer for a process. They set minutes and seconds sepereatley with s numeric input keypad, then I normally display what they have input above it. Sometimes I’ve used text with variables, other times I’ve used numeric displays, and I have no rhyme or reason why I’ve chosen one or the other when designing the screens.

My assumption is that a text object allows for greater flexibility since you can write expressions in it and such. But again I was just wondering what other people’s preferences were and why.

Last edited:
Just to display a simple number on the screen.
I find that the numeric display has the disadvantage that you cannot display units to suit the number.

By units I mean %, Kgs, Degrees C, kPa, etc

With a text object with a numeric tag, the % can fit in just after the tag name

I find that the numeric display has the disadvantage that you cannot display units to suit the number.

By units I mean %, Kgs, Degrees C, kPa, etc

With a text object with a numeric tag, the % can fit in just after the tag name

It also insists on presenting itself with a truly ugly, wide, monospaced font, and refuses to allow the display designer to control it's appearance.