FactoryTalk Numeric and Text Display

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
FactoryTalk View ME 5.10.00

I have a String Display object.

I want to concatenate a number and a string to display.

so in "Expression" i have

{numeric tag of type REAL} + "--" + {text tag of type STRING}

During runtime this generates an error
"Unable to activate connection:'my expression'"

Now if I delete the Numeric tag and leave the
"--" + {text tag of type STRING}
then it displays the two dashes and the text just fine

And if I delete the "--" and the STRING tag and leave the
{numeric tag of type REAL}
it displays the value of the number just fine

Is there any way to get it to display both??

I should also add that while in the expression editor the "check syntax" button returns valid on the expression that is giving me the error.

Instead choose Object - Drawing - Text

The screen will lead you through setting up the text. If you need a complex frame you can also make one of those then move the Text object on top of it.

Hi there! Sorry to hijack the thread but i have an almost related issue i cant seem to crack.. I have an object (VBA Exposed) that when pressed returns AB_CD_EF (ABCE etc. as example) as a string. I would like to append the controllername and a suffix to this and then use the whole as the expression of a numeric display to indirectly read a tagvalue from the PLC using the VBA, but i seem to get an error when assigning the concatenated string to the .Expression variable of a normal Numeric Display. Any ideas?

Hi guys,

I'm having an issue like this one,

I'm trying to show a real number in numeric display like 2.4
But its showing only 2

In RS Logix its showing real number but not showing on HMI.

any body help please?

How can i show the full reall number in a numeric display.

I'm using Factorytalk view Site edition.

You probably need to check the setting for the number of digits/decimal places for the numeric display.

A quick tip: you select the number of digits, and the number of decimal places, but the number of digits includes the decimal point.

So if you have a value of 2.4:
1 digit, 0 decimal places will read "2"
2 digits, 1 decimal place will read "2" (or more accurately, "2.", but it doesn't show the decimal place)
3 digits, 1 decimal place will show "2.4"
4 digits, 1 decimal place will show either "2.4" or "02.4" depending on your setting for what to do with leading zeroes
4 digits, 2 decimal places will show either "2.4" or "2.40" depending on your setting for what to do with trailing zeroes
5 digits, 2 decimal places, will show "2.4", "02.4", "02.40" or "2.40" again depending on your settings for leading and trailing zeroes.

Hope that helps!