FactoryTalk ME Numeric Display works when I run Test Display but not Test Application

engnrd

I'm trying to display a timer's PRE value in seconds. It works when I hit the test display button, but it displays as ?????? on the HMI and also when I test the whole application. Any ideas? The numeric input that is also scaled works fine, so I'm pretty confused.

Display expression in the global object: {[Wrapper]Active_Product.Wrapper_Timer[#100].PRE} / 1000

Screenshots attached.

TestDisplay.png TestApplication.png GlobalObjectExpressionEditor.png

Since your chosen array element is "#100" I'm assuming you are using a parameter file or list. When you run the test version it asks for you to choose a parameter file or list to correlate with the #s, but this is not used in the actual runtime. I would double check to make sure your "Goto Display" button has the parameter file or list selected.

I use the same #100 for all tags in the global object and everything else works. The numeric input uses the same tag, and it works and scales the entered value appropriately. It's just the numeric display that has issues. See attached images.

GlobalTags.png NumericInput.png GlobalParameterSetting.png

Are you getting errors in the Diagnostic List at the bottom of the screen? I just threw together a similar example here and it works just fine for me whether I test the Application or the Display.

As for Clatchet's comment about parameters, no Parameter File or List is necessary here. The item being used is a Global Object. These objects have an option for Global Object Parameter Definition. It basically allows you to list the placeholders and add a text description for each. Then you copy that Global Object into your display where if you right-click you will have an option called Global Object Parameter Values. This allows you to define a static value or a specific tag for each placeholder which removes the need to use parameter files. You can see this in his screenshot GlobalParameterSetting.png

OG

Last edited:
In a frustrating turn of events, after adding another numeric display to the global object with different settings for testing, the new one showed the same behavior, but the original numeric display started working. I deleted the extra numeric display, and my original object is still working. It's running on the HMI now. Exact same tag and scaling. :sick:

If I have it happen again, I will look for errors in the Diagnostics window.