O/T Configuring TCP/IP In Windows

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm quite embarrassed to say that I only have a rudimentary understanding of IP addresses.

I have a PanelView Component 2711C-K3M HMI
IP Address 169.254.254.2
I connect to the PanelView with a standard USB programming cable
I let Windows obtain an IP address automatically.
I open Firefox, and Enter the IP. address 169.254.254.2 into the browser bar.
The PanelView software loads, and it works fine. (Well it takes it's sweet time, but that's another issue)

I also have connected to the system two Allen Bradley drives.
2097-V33PR3 192.168.1.5 Axis1
2097-V33PR6 192.168.1.6 Axis2
I connect to these through my RJ45 port using a switch Stratix 2000 1783-US05T
If I type in the IP address for one of the drives (192.168.1.5) into the browser, it won't connect.
I have to go into the Local Area Connection Properties and manually set the TCP/IP
IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.255
Once this is done, I type in the 192.168.1.5 into the browser, and the MotionView software for the Kinetix300 pops up fine.
Of course if I do this then I lose my connection to the PanelView.

This is on an old IBM Thinkpad WinXP SP 3
I suspect that the problem is this particular laptop, because I am able to go online with both units using a different laptop, still WinXP SP3
It's infuriating trying to figure out why it works on one laptop and not on another.
I was actually working out in the shop with two laptops :oops:

Is there an IP address that I can enter in order to connect to both the USB, and the Ethernet cable?
Is there an order that I can connect devices ie, connect to the PanelView first, and then connect to the Kinetix?
I think you can change the IP address on the Kinetix300, but I am not sure.

It is very common to have trouble running two different IP networks on the same computer (for average users like us !).

There are probably some simple workarounds involving network priority but I'm not familiar with them. The PLC Kid recently posted some clever work with VPN priority settings (in a thread involving LogMeIn/Hamachi) so maybe he can contribute more.

The PanelView Component is using something called Automatic Private IP Addressing.

It does this to simplify its browser-based configurator. When you plug in the USB cable to the PVc, a new Windows NIC card is created and the PanelView Component always has that static IP address 169.254.254.2. This lets you always launch your browser and connect to the same IP address and get the PanelView every time, and is why the IP address of the PanelView component can actually be printed in hardcopy in the User Manual.

When your computer has both the 169.254.xxx.yyy network and the 192.168.1.xxx network to choose from, it can't decide which NIC card to send a packet to. [Insert laughter from IT guy here].

If you were using a PanelView Component with Ethernet, you would just set up the Ethernet port to a 192.168.1.xxx address and switch to using Ethernet only, and everything would have one happy network.

While it's probably possible to change your Kinetix drives to use an APIPA range address, you would still have the issue of having one USB NIC and one Ethernet NIC with the same network.

So in summary: Plug in the PanelView, do your download, unplug the PanelView and go back to work on the rest of the system.

Thanks Ken for that explanation.

Luckily, I am not doing too much more tweaking with the PanelView Component.
I think I've got it, so that I don't have to work on the two different systems concurrently.

Thanks Okie, wait what where did he go?

Hi,

My2c. What has to be done, in one or the other programs is called binding. When a socket is opened/configured in MS Windows you can instruct the OS to bind the socket to a NIC (an IP address).

The other possible quick fix, assuming one of the programs cannot bind, is the order of the NICs. In XP under network settings/advanced settings is a list of the NICs. The line above the list reads: 'Connections are listed in the order in which they are accessed by network services.'

Clicking on a NIC and the arrows to the right change the order. You might try the USB first and the other NIC second. If no joy, roll the connections and try again.

Thanks Okie, wait what where did he go?

When I read Ken's post and saw above it on mine that the EDIT button was still available, and my post was pretty much dead wrong, I thought I should delete it to limit the confusion for others who may find this thread in the future.

If you need to route w/ 2 diff IP networks you can set this up via the
ROUTE command from a cmd prompt.

This *usually* isn't as issue unless you need to have multiple gateways however. Windows will automatically build a routing table based on the host ip of each interface.

For example,
Nic 1 - 10.1.1.10 ip, 255.255.255.0 mask, 10.1.1.1 gw
Nic 2 - 10.5.2.14 ip, 255.255.255.0 mask, no gw
Windows will build a routing table and it will prioritize traffic to 10.1.1.x through nic 1, it will also prioritize traffic for ANY other IP address EXCEPT for 10.5.2.x address'(due to the presence of the gw).
Traffic to 10.5.2.x will be routed through Nic2

Now, In the above example, If you need to talk to something on 10.5.3.x and there is an acl such that traffic must come through the gw on 10.5.2.1 address, you'll need to add a static route to tell windows how to re prioritize traffic.

the cmd would look like
Code:
route add 10.5.3.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.5.2.1
(add a -p if you want it to stay)