Oil level sensing

labingtone

Hi to all,

Merry Christams!!

Im doing a project for detecting the level of lubrication Oil in a pressurise vessel.The Pressure of vessel is approximately 6 bars.My requirement is just so simple. I have two level namely Low level and high level.Im planning to use ultrasonic level sensor.
Has anyone can suggest a particullar brand or any other method of level sensing.

Thanks,

Lovington Dela Cruz
Shell Lubricating Oil Com.

If you only have the two levels and you don't plan on needing to change where they are, then I would just use float switches.

They're a heck of a lot cheaper and probably more reliable than an ultrasonic sensor.

On top of that, you won't have to use an analog input which can also save time and effort.

Milltronics

Labingtone

If you are hell bent on using a sonar unit. Milltronics is the best it also has a steep price...you can get contact closures out of it so you can get a high and low setting

But

I agree 100% with Jimbo get a float or two capacitive sensors mounted in the wall of the tank and do the same thing better, cheaper, easier.

To me better, cheaper, easier always trumps high tech.

Good luck
Steve

If you use Float (or other digital) high level I recommend normally closed so a wire break or failure casues a fault. Normally open on the bottom for the same reason. It's always good to minimize unknown problems. banghead

I know this is basic but I've seen it overlooked often.

Hi guys,

thanks for your reply.

yes its true that floatless is more cheaper and easy to install. But I choose the ultrasonic sensor just to make the level adjustmest can ba done easilly if wanted to change the settings, besides I wanted that my sensor do not have moving parts.

Lovington Dela Cruz

We use Modulevel's ultra sonic for app just like yours. Have used them for years with no problem and easy on sight calibration.

Senix makes sensors with 2 outputs per unit. They can both be analog (current and voltage) or relay. The min and max distance as well as relay operating points are configurable also.

We just started using one for cylinder positioning (replaced a slide resistor). So far we're very happy with the results.

www.senix.com

I've used electro-optic level sensors from Gems Sensors to monitor the level of isopropyl alcohol in pressure vessels. I don't know how well their float-type sensors perform, but the optical ones I used worked GREAT!... (y)

beerchug

-Eric

hello.
to fix this problem i used capacitive sensor installed outside the recipient that contain oil, just through the usual glass-spy that oil-containers have, in this way the sensor is always clean and perfect,and can be a good solution if you have just to check the oil level, sometimes i used the same sensor installed nearest the transparent pipe that are uotside the container, most depend also from the ambient this application is installed
l.r.

ultrasonic sensor

I use Siemens "Bero" series ultrasonic sensor when I need a level detection for agressive products or easy level control.
I allways try to use this kind of device cause is trouble free.
Just look out a how close you are to wall or objects that can make reading interferences.
You'll find them at Siemens site.

Personaly I find them great...:D

Great Stuff

It's great to find out about some of these companies and the product they offer. I think this is one disadvantage to being "green", I don't really know what companies/devices are out there.

rsdoran, I went to MTSU, who was div 2 at the time (until lack of money/interest steered me into the Navy) . I've been a lifelong Volunteer fan.