Omron C200HX - How Is It Communicating Via Ethernet?

zetsubou

I can't figure out how CX-Programmer is connecting to this PLC.

- C200HX PLC - in the field.
- Laptop connected to a network via ethernet cable - in an office.
- PLC connection config in project: SYSMAC WAY (COM8)

Opening the project and clicking "Work Online" shows a confirmation for "SYSMAC WAY (COM8)" and it connects successfully.

The thing is, there is no COM8 under Device Manager. Does Omron have some sort of virtual COM port software running in the background that is enabling this connection?

I don't know of any Omron product that will do this. CX Programmer is connected via serial port. That much is clear with the Sysmac Way (COM8) setting.

More than likely, there is a third party device making a virtual serial port via ethernet. It should show up under Windows Ports. Check the Network Adapters as well.

I don't know of any Omron product that will do this. CX Programmer is connected via serial port. That much is clear with the Sysmac Way (COM8) setting.

More than likely, there is a third party device making a virtual serial port via ethernet. It should show up under Windows Ports. Check the Network Adapters as well.

Hi mate, just wanted to check in and say thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

There was a MOXA serial-ethernet adaptor in the field and software configured on the computer (NPort) that had the COM port mapping. The COM port doesn't show up under Device Manager when it's configured by this service but it's still detected by CX-Programmer.