One Doubt: Please explain

Thanks Ron for all the help. I must say you are one of the best instructors i have during my whole academics. I asked you many dum questions but you always responsded with patience. you have always encouraged me. Thanks for that.

Ron,

I totally agree with you. All the informtion you wrote in thread you already have explained in lesson 5 and lesson 6. Excellent!! Excellent!! I have no words how well you have explained..Great work Ron!! I am so happy this plc learning process is now looking more intersting and exciting. Now I want to learn more on plcs!! Thanks for everything.

Hello Ron,

I have seen your all 11 videos 2 times today.I made my notes also. My concepts cleared a lot. Now i feel little confident. Now i am realizing that i was asking very basic and stupid questions in this forum. Please guide me how i can proceed now on plcs means what i have to study. Actually to be honest with you. now i am planning to start programming in Siemens PLC as it was required in my work. I know you will be little surprised but i will try my best. I will not give up. Any suggestions would be appreciated regarding programming.

jamalshahid, having read all your posts I would say the best advice i could give you (having been in your situation) is book yourself onto a Siemens PLC basic course. If this is not an option, buy a S7200 or S71200 starter kit, if thats not an option have look on ebay for 2nd hand kit.
Set it all up, by reading the many many MANY manuals that are available free of charge then come back on here and ask for someone to set you a problem (such as a traffic light simulation) then you write the code and post it back on here. By the time you have done that you will have gained good experience. May i ask your electrical background?

Hope this helps.

The mistake that many people make oming over to PLCs is seeing the Examine On (XIC) and Examine Off (XIO) as contacts identical to relay logic. It takes awhile to understand that they are simply instructions.

Ron, I really admire your patience and your ability to teach.
I have an incredibly difficult time explaining concepts like these to others, but I can learn a lot from seeing how you describe them.

I have to admit, I first read your description of 1/0 vs. T/F and didn't really get it. In my mind, 1=On=True, but an XIO negates that state (that's why it has a slash through it).
Now I see how your way of describing the concept simpler, especially for those just learning this stuff.

If I had the time, I would go through all of your lessons now just to see how I can explain them more clearly.

Thanks.

Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut but...

If I had the time, I would go through all of your lessons now just to see how I can explain them more clearly.

If you don't have the time to study then it time to stop!

I did my bachelors in electrical engineering and masters. I just graduated from college with no experience.

I'm wondering if pLC programming is seen as a default skill. You said it's your job. Don't get me wrong we all gotta start somewhere but lately PLC jobs seem to require expert programmers

It's nice if your company is giving you the opportunity. Actually to have any kind of free time to learm is a real plus!

from jimbo3123:

well, it takes about 90 minutes to watch all eleven videos ... just please be sure to watch them ALL IN NUMBER ORDER ... it actually is intended to be one long continuous lesson – but Archie and I had to chop it up into segments in order to satisfy YouTube's 10 minute limitation ...

I have an incredibly difficult time explaining concepts like these to others, but I can learn a lot from seeing how you describe them.

you bring up an interesting point ... during the last three years of this economic "recession" I've had several LARGE companies tell me something along these lines:

"Ron, we know we need PLC training – but in this economic situation, headquarters just won't let us spend the money to send all of our people. Right now we can only get approval for two."

my suggestion would be something like this:

"OK, then send me your two Top Guns – the best you've got in the plant."

the customer would look at me like I had three heads ... why on earth should they send the BEST guys – and not the worst? ...

the point:

"Just make sure that the guys you send are team players – in other words, they're WILLING to help train their coworkers – it's just that they don't know how to explain things in a systematic way."

one of the benefits of my training method is that it gives everybody a "common language" to use when describing what's going on inside the PLC ... anyone who sees that as a trivial advantage isn't thinking in a "big picture" frame of mind ...

actually the customers were well pleased with the results ... it turns out that many experienced technicians are quite accomplished with what they know – but explaining what they know to others is a serious challenge when they lack a systematic approach to looking at things ...

now back to your original quote:

like I said, it only takes about 90 minutes to watch all eleven videos ...

Last edited: