Open source PLC drivers

I'm playing around with the open source ethernet drive and a ML1100. For some reason, I can't get the ML1100 to accept the connection when I put the ML1100's ip address into the field and press open port. I get the message that the ML1100 refused the conenction at the IP address:2222 (I'm assuming 2222 is the port). Is there some additional setup needed in the ML1100? I know the driver is mainly for slc5.05, but I was thinking that the communication would be similar for the ML1100.

BTW, I've used the open source DF1 driver that Archie has worked on and I have to say Great Work Archie! The communication I was looking for has worked flawlessly.

Jr.

I know the driver is mainly for slc5.05, but I was thinking that the communication would be similar for the ML1100.
The driver is actually very specifically for the SLC 5/05 because the 5/05 uses a protocol referred to AB/Ethernet while the ML1100 uses Ethernet/IP. AB/Ethernet is essentially the DF1 with an Ethernet header.

The driver is actually very specifically for the SLC 5/05 because the 5/05 uses a protocol referred to AB/Ethernet while the ML1100 uses Ethernet/IP. AB/Ethernet is essentially the DF1 with an Ethernet header.

I thought the ML1100 supports both the "Ehternet Devices" & the "Ethernet/IP" protocols, but I could be wrong. I know in RSLinx you can configure either driver to communicate with the ML1100.

I too would like to see some open source drivers but on the other hand plc manufacturers do not like to divulge their protocols & I can't blame them as this helps stop the number of people that would make a few bucks creating some form of plc programming software in competition after all they have invested a lot of money in producing the platform for programming, I do agree that some forms of opc for communication with a home brewed scada would be welcome then the manufacturer could keep download of code to their own but allow data communications for other devices.
some have this in the form of open drivers or ascii drivers to allow other equipment like bar code readers etc. to communicate.
Also remember that companies like kepware also spend alot of time producing connections for data collection/control with & probably without the plc manufacturers help & they need to make money as well.
There is a clear difference between a pc with drivers for data connection drivers for mobiles, usb/232 communications & plc code generation & programming, after all most people who want it for free are usualy ones who want to make as much as they can by not paying for it & undercutting the genuine oem's who have to invest being a partner for the manufacturers.
There is also a safety issue plc manufacturers spend a lot of the development cost in producing a stable platform that has safety built in i.e. to make sure that code produced will not fall over & cause a dangerous condition in machinery.

The open source drivers and/or software is nice for the home hobyist that doesn't have a few thousand $ laying around to spend on software. Plus, it's handy to play around with and get to know the product on a very low level, so when you're out in the field and troubleshooting, you don't always have to rely on the phone support.

Open source software is more than just for hobbyists. For example, the internet is based on open standards and the #1 web browser is open source. Software is becoming a commodity, and open source software has shown to be of higher quality than proprietary software. This is a good thing!

Hopefully IEC 61131-3 will allow our industry to follow that path.

Don't worry, companies will always make money with their service and support.