Ot cctv

gas

I have a wide truck and a narrow garage door. For a number of reasons this is what I am stuck with. I haven't hit the door frame yet but it is only a matter of time.

I have thought about 2 cameras mounted inside and looking at the door frame at fender height.
I would then hang a monitor from the ceiling at windshield height.
The kicker is: I want it to only come on when the garage door opens. I can do that with an existing relay in the opener motor. Can I find anything that will boot in a short time?

I have never worked with video so I don’t even know what questions to ask.
Thoughts? Criticism’s? Am I nuts….never mind, the wife will answer that.

How about two spring loaded, carpeted arms sticking out from both sides just inside the doorway. Equip each with a switch which makes on being contacted. Wire each to conspicuous lights. Provide for a method for them to deflect harmlessly while backing out.

Another idea takes a clue from airplanes parking at airport gates. Align two different colored vertical led bars, one in front of the other, such that if they appear to overlap the you are correctly aligned on the center line. This is only effective if just one vehicle is being parked in that space.

Last edited:
Thanks Bernie.
I have thought about an ultrasonic sensor mounted on each side with lights. Problem is I can only reach the drivers mirror to pull it in. That puts the truck off center, thus the values are not equal.

I don't like the idea of rubbing the finish with our northern winters but with simple mechanical switches I could adjust for that difference.

A dedicated DVR won't boot that fast and won't be cheap either. You could use a Pi cam(s) and only turn the monitor on when needed.

I have 1.5" clearance either side when putting the car in. I went for the low tech solution of having a wide mirror on the back wall. 4 years on and haven't scraped it yet.

Mount a photo-eye at the top of the door jam, looking down where you need to be clear. Have the eye turn on a red light if beam is broken. Banner should have what your looking for. No reflector needed. Call tech support. they have lots that are not listed. I have always has great luck with there help.

It seems like some variation of Bernie's LED light bar suggestion would be the best. That would allow you to get lined up properly before you enter the doorway instead of trying to make emergency corrections when it is too late to do anything about it except start over.
I have installed a very low tech version of that for my wife using a strip of reflective tape. If her headlight is lined up on the tape when she pulls in then she will end up in the right place once inside the garage.

Last edited:
Analog cameras power up almost instantly. Standard 480 cameras would be adequate. You would have to get a quad or something to combine the images onto the same monitor. You can pick up a pelco on eBay for about $20. They boot instantly as well. You might as well load this thing up with 4 cameras to cover all the angles. Since analog video is on the way out I'm sure you could pick up used equipment very cheap.

Last edited: