OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year my wife contracted Covid due to being an essential worker, she spent 3 weeks in bed unable to get out, very weak, then another 3 weeks trying to build up her strength, we visited hospital twice, however, even though her breathing was difficult it was not enough to admit her (I think under normal circumstances she would have been at least for observation), this was probably due to the strain put on the NHS at that time, I ended up with very mild symptoms, very lucky considering my age and this was before the jabs were approved. It took my wife nearly 12 months to get back to normal (called long covid), being in my late 60's meant I was vaccinated pretty early & have had both doses, even though it appears I might be immune, (a more recent exposure with it did not produce any symptoms) to at least the early strain I consider having the jabs, wearing masks & following all the recommended measures even if not compulsory is not for my benefit but to protect others, yes, I am trying to protect myself in the event of another variant that I might not be immune to but in my eyes it is important to protect others, the reported problems in the side effects of the jab pale into insignificance compared to the data that appears to show the protection it gives.
I think people take the relaxing of the restrictions as a licence to totally ignore the dangers, if more people would use some common sense & keep themselves & others safe we would be in a better position.
Last year, I encountered a situation in a supermarket, although I did not intervene in any way, a man in his mid 20's (I assumed) was not wearing a mask, did not use the sanitiser on entry, one woman spoke to him saying don't you think you should wear a mask & sanitise your hands, his response was "you are all wearing masks so what's the problem", this is how stupid some people are, he did not understand that wearing a mask protects other people better than yourself, evidence proves that although a mask can protect you, the virus can enter the body though other means like eyes & ears, so catching it before it becomes airborne is more effective.
If booster injections are offered, I will take them, continue to protect others as best I can.

If booster injections are offered, I will take them, continue to protect others as best I can.

As of yesterday (in the USA) they are only going to offer a booster to over 65 or if you have underlying health conditions.... I have had pneumonia 4 times in my life so I am sure thats what is going to take me out in the end. I got the vaccine and I get a flu shot every year, I also wear a mask out of respect to others when indoors.

I dont get it, half of the people are so afraid of getting the vaccine but at the same time they wont wear a mask? its a ****ing mask for God sake, its not going to kill you and as far as a vaccine, if people only knew what they put in their bodies on a daily basis eating the **** we eat.

In 1918 the Spanish flu killed over 50 million as of now we are at 4.5 and I think we have a long way to go, will we hit 50? I dont know but when its all over and done I bet we are at 20 and thats a LOT of people.

I have not had it and dont want it, my step dad passed away from it and my mom was laid up for sometime from it, she has recovered from it now, Parky glad your wife is better.

I wish you all good health!

My wife lost her father to Covid early in the pandemic. My in-laws were in the middle of a 4-week cruise when the danger was realized and ports started closing. A handful of passengers had Covid by the time they got off, including them. My mother-in-law recovered. My wife's sister's family all caught it and recovered.

Like most of us in technical positions, my clients are all essential manufacturing, and my work is deemed essential. I drove all over the eastern US, including the northeast, most of last year. During the worst of the pandemic. I carefully followed the statistics on Worldometer and follow-ups by technically competent analysts (certain members of Ricochet especially). I considered it due diligence for myself and my family.

By April last year, it was already clear that lockdowns and mask mandates were not working. The northeast, where those policies were most extreme, had and still has the highest per-capita death rates in the U.S. We now know that Covid-19 is almost entirely transmitted by aerosols, which go right through anything less than a tightly-sealed N95 mask, and float for hours in poorly ventilated indoor spaces. Study after study showed no significant transmission from surfaces, or while outdoors. And no significant reduction in transmission where mask compliance was highest. The MIT study completed early in 2021 is the gold standard on this. Making people wear cloth or simple surgical masks is utterly worthless, and a hazard for people with breathing problems. Such masks do not protect you from Covid, and do not protect those around you.

Let me restate: The northeast, where mask and lockdown policies were most extreme, had and still has the highest per-capita death rates in the U.S.

It was also clear by that time that Covid is a brutal killer of the elderly, while mostly an annoyance to youth. Far more age-skewed than the seasonal flu, which also mostly kills the elderly. The biggest risk factor besides age is obesity--also true for the flu. The fact that the media focuses on the few tragedies among the young scares the **** out of the general public, to a certain kind of politician's advantage.

Teens and children are practically untouched by Covid, and there's no significant evidence they asymptomatically transmit it to others. The harsh and politically incorrect reality is that mask-induced breathing problems are a bigger threat to them than Covid. Keeping in-person schooling closed is absurd. Making children wear masks is child abuse, IMNSHO.

The U.S. has pretty effective vaccines available. I got mine (2x Pfizer) not long after age-prioritization ended. (I'm a low risk for Covid.) Aside from having quickly fought off Covid naturally, they yield the best protection for yourself and modest protection for those with whom you live and work. Boosters may or may not be valuable. I may get one when the science is solid. (Pfizer's booster was just rejected by the FDA for insufficient positive data.)

Not that the vaccines are perfect. Like most vaccines, some people have bad reactions. People on immuno-suppressants generally can't take them. The VAERS data is growing, and the balance of risk is tipping against vaccinating teens and children.

What bothers me most about the past year and a half is how easily and quickly the general population was stampeded into abandoning all of the historically optimum measures to combat epidemics of uncurable diseases:

• Quarantine the sick until recovered.
  • Quarantine those exposed to the sick for the incubation period.
  • Quarantine groups of travelers of unknown status for the incubation period.
  • When available, employ the recovered to care for the sick and interact with the quarantined.
  • Let the healthy keep the economy going, so everyone doesn't starve the following year. Or die of exposure due to lack of housing/energy/clothing/etc.
Forgetting that last bit, especially, was only to the advantage of the politicians who don't like crises to go to waste.

Every job is essential to the person doing it.

The MIT study completed early in 2021 is the gold standard on this. Making people wear cloth or simple surgical masks is utterly worthless, and a hazard for people with breathing problems. Such masks do not protect you from Covid, and do not protect those around you.

Really? you would think then that MIT would not mandate that people wear mask if their own 'gold standard' says it does no good... https://now.mit.edu/policies/updated-face-covering-policy/

Teens and children are practically untouched by Covid.

Unless its one of your kids that have died from Covid then you may feel different

The point of the mask is not to stop it... its to slow it down, with no mask it would travel further and more PPM than without a mask

Not quite true. Four in the top ten, to be sure, but not quite as one-sided as implied by that quote.

Here's my source:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Where's yours?
Death rate as in # per population or Death/Covid Patient?

Taiwan, for example, got one of the most extreme mask and quarantine policy in place, however, they also lose more Covid patient per # infected. But it doesn't mean the mandate doesn't work, they probably just doesn't' have enough experience treating the patients due to the extremely low # infected.

Also, this f*cked narrative of economy vs opening up is BS. If we vax up and properly (not chin-diaper) wear mask, then we are helping the economy get up and going faster.

There are problems with quoting different death rates in different countries, it depends on so many factors, it seems that certain races are more prone to a serious infection, population per mile, lifestyle, attitude the list goes on, last year, Britain had a very high rate compared to most of Europe (Italy I think was the worst), however, a doctor friend of mine said they did a survey based on population/square mile, size of populated areas versus population etc....
It turned out that given those factors we were not one the worst by taking into account in the UK the land mass versus population is so dense we live in such close proximity it is bound to have an impact.

Steve is right now but he wasn't a few months ago. The north eastern states did have the highest number of deaths per capita. NY and NJ are still high on the list but now LA and MS have replaced CT and MA because these are poor states.

Anybody that says "we are following science" is a liar. There hasn't been enough time. There isn't even a good vaccine yet. A worker at Delta got the CCP-virus even though she was double vaccinated and she got it from her boy friend who was also double vaccinated.

If the vaccine doesn't prevent the CCP-virus from spreading then eventually we all will be infected to some extent. The key thing here is to reduce the initial loading. Israel did a study and found that those that got their "immunity" natural by surviving the the CCP-Virus were 13 times less likely to get the CCP-virus again. This means there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to the vaccine yet nothing seems to be happening when it comes to improving the vaccine.

I have a spread sheet that I have been updating since the june of 2020. I keep track of the deaths, active and recovered and use that data to plot out what is happening. I do this for the US only. It is easy to see that the delta variant started to have impact in mid june of 2021. Before then it looked like we may slowly get a handle on this CCP-virus. Now it is easy to see we have lost control. The 20 day mortality rate is over 2.2%. What does that mean?

There are 9.6M cases and increasing so 2% of that is about 200K that will die if no more get infected and we are now at 691K deaths so add 200K to that. During the Spanish flu it is estimated that 650K people died in the US. You can see we have past that will will add many more. Think about that! Seriously!

It is clear to me the politicians/dictators have their heads up their a$$e$. China has taken extreme measures but it hasn't helped. Our dictators have flatten our economy and it hasn't helped. My gut feeling is that it will make little difference in the end. You will survive or you won't. 200 years from now people will be resistant and the CCP-virus will be another inconvenience like the flu.

Meanwhile the petty dictators will use the CCP-virus to take away our freedom. Personally, I think our petty dictators are a bigger problem than the CCP-virus.

People get very confused about the purpose of a lock-down. At the start of the Pandemic they were the only tool in box to limit infections. Limiting the rate of infection meant that medical services weren't overwhelmed. You can see how effective lock-downs can be by looking at UK data in our first wave, 2 weeks after the lock-down started, the infection rate fell. And now as restrictions are lifted, infection rates increase. Lock-downs aren't about stopping people from being infected, they are about making sure that there is an open bed in the hospital and that there are Nurses to care for you. All things being equal everybody in the world will be exposed to Covid-19, it spreads too easily to avoid it.

Now have more treatments and we have vaccines. Current vaccines don't seem to stop a person from getting Covid-19, but they do hugely reduce the severity of any following illness. Again UK data shows that as we open our economy we are once more getting higher levels of infection, but the rate of hospitalisation is about 1/4, and deaths are a less than 1/10 of those before our vaccination program. The vast majority of serious illness and deaths are in those that remain un-vaccinated.

The medical toolbox is still sparse, if you want to avoid lock-downs, get as many people as possible vaccinated.

If you want to know if Covid-19 is real, talk to any sane hospital Doctor, Nurse, Ambulance Paramedic, Porter or Mortuary worker.

When I do research, I try to verify sources because there is disinformation out there. I came across this video, It is verified as the FDA's youtube channel. The video is titled

"Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee – 9/17/2021"

The video is 8 hours long, but if you click on the link, it will take you to time index 4:09:24 where they discuss the VAERS database and around 4:24:10 they discuss "excess deaths" This is very concerning!

https://youtu.be/WFph7-6t34M?t=14990

Making people wear cloth or simple surgical masks is utterly worthless, and a hazard for people with breathing problems. Such masks do not protect you from Covid, and do not protect those around you.
False.
Masks are obviously not a 100% barrier to virus. They are not perfect, but nothing is. However, 'a mask' is better than 'no mask'. Even if its use decreases your chances of getting or transmitting virus by 0.001% (hypothetical figure), the fact still remains - 'a mask' is better than 'no mask'. That's been proven, but it really doesn't need to be. Logic (no pun intended) should tell us that. You infect a room full of virus, put 100 people in there, all wearing masks. Do the same in another room with 100 people all not wearing masks. Leave them all in there for an hour to talk and mingle with each other. Then take them out of the rooms and test each of them for infection. I guarantee that the room of people not wearing masks will have a higher infection rate that the room that was wearing masks.

Let me restate: The northeast, where mask and lockdown policies were most extreme, had and still has the highest per-capita death rates in the U.S.
Even if that is accurate, it really doesn't prove anything in terms of mask effectiveness. How many people up there are elderly compared to everywhere else. From what I know, and I could be wrong, there's a higher % of senior citizens in that region. What about overall health conditions of the population in that region compared to everywhere else? What about population density?? What about % of homeless? And a number of other factors not factored in to what you're trying to sell me.

Teens and children are practically untouched by Covid, and there's no significant evidence they asymptomatically transmit it to others. The harsh and politically incorrect reality is that mask-induced breathing problems are a bigger threat to them than Covid. Keeping in-person schooling closed is absurd. Making children wear masks is child abuse, IMNSHO.
False.
My wife works for the school district here. As soon as the school year started, schools opened with in-person attendance, no mask mandates. Within two weeks, 1/3 of the class rooms were out with COVID. Now they have countless students/classes quarantined. It's craziness. My wife doesn't know what choice they have other than going to remote classes again for a while. We also have a teen in our church that darn near died late last year from COVID. Kid is a fit athlete on the football team, was healthy as an ox. They almost gave up on him and were going to put him in hospice. Miraculously, he recovered on his own.
Masks work. Again, they are obviously not going to 100% in preventing spread, but they will help. That's been proven.

200 years from now people will be resistant and the CCP-virus will be another inconvenience like the flu.

My only issue with this statement.... I will be 254 years old and I will still need a vaccine shot

mikeexplorer said:
VAERS database...

That was one doctors report that was a guest speaking at a meeting and it was hosted by the FDA that was not the FDA's report, dont get me wrong I do agree with the fact that there are risk

According to the CDC there have been 12,000 deaths since 1990 from vaccines, from their numbers it was averaging just over 150 a year, this past year was/is 6,887 but I would expect that because of the number of vaccines given.

They have all the data here https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

The video is 8 hours long, but if you click on the link, it will take you to time index 4:09:24 where they discuss the VAERS database and around 4:24:10 they discuss "excess deaths" This is very concerning!

https://youtu.be/WFph7-6t34M?t=14990

A "minor" problem with the "VAERS database"..
https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

From the website..

"VAERS accepts reports of adverse events and reactions that occur following vaccination. Healthcare providers, vaccine manufacturers, and the public can submit reports to the system. While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.