OT: Ground rods bonding

g.mccormick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm doing some work preparing for adding some concrete patios. Im running conduit underground in preperation of a future garage. I'm also going to go ahead and drive a second ground rod into the ground just cause. For the second ground rod, do I have to bond it to the first (I'm digging but having a hard time actually finding it). Can I bond the two grounds in the main disconnect/service entrance ground bar? Future work will probably have me installing a generator transfer switch. This is where the grounds would bond. Right now, I will probably not connect this ground to anything, just get it above concrete level.

Thanks

Current best practice is to bond everything. Ground rods, any rebar or screen in your concrete, water pipes, gas pipes, the cat. Well, maybe not the cat, but anything that is conductive, and doesn't move on its own should be bonded. Local codes will tell you if you can bond in the service disconnect or not. I'm not aware of anything in the NEC that would prohibit it.

Bubba.

Last edited:
Thanks. I dont have my nec here as its at work. I cant think of a reason it would not me acceptable to bond at panel instead of at rods, so thats what im going for since i got tired of digging trying to find the existing rod.

if you are in a place where you get your water from piped system like city ware they don't normally use a ground rod with them they bond to the incoming water main with a jumper around the water meter. So you may not have a ground rod at all. as for your future garage that would be considered a sub panel feed from your main service panel.
subpanels are required to have an isolated natural and a panel ground 2 separate termination points in the panel and it would require 4 wires from you main panel
2 HOT'S Red, Black, White(Natural) s a ground (Bond) bare copper or Green
in the use you can only have 1 ground point at the service entrance and all grounding conductors must be bonded to that ground.
I would recommend that you have a local electrician come look ate your system and advise you before you get to involved in it you would not want to have to tear it all out later it it don't pass local codes supersede anything you mat here from here

in th

if you are in a place where you get your water from piped system like city ware they don't normally use a ground rod with them they bond to the incoming water main with a jumper around the water meter. So you may not have a ground rod at all. as for your future garage that would be considered a sub panel feed from your main service panel.
subpanels are required to have an isolated natural and a panel ground 2 separate termination points in the panel and it would require 4 wires from you main panel
2 HOT'S Red, Black, White(Natural) s a ground (Bond) bare copper or Green
in the use you can only have 1 ground point at the service entrance and all grounding conductors must be bonded to that ground.
I would recommend that you have a local electrician come look ate your system and advise you before you get to involved in it you would not want to have to tear it all out later it it don't pass local codes supersede anything you mat here from here

in th

There will be two disconnects at the house after the meter and potentially transfer switch. Each disconnect will feed one panel, house and garage respectively. Wiring to each panel will be 4 wire

I am going under the following assumption.

You are a licensed electrician in your state and municipality !
in my area, a diy project will NEVER pass inspection.
you have been in contact with the authorities for locating all underground items (gas, phone, internet, electrical, water, sewer). My electrical service is buried to my house.
you have obtained the correct permits.
your main service has enough spare capacity for your additions.

james

You are a licensed electrician in your state and municipality !
in my area, a diy project will NEVER pass inspection

Why? If it’s the homeowner that pulls the permit and does the work and it passes inspection, what’s the difference? I’m almost certain there are laws in place that allow homeowners this right. Also a license is strictly allowing you the right to work on something you do not own, has nothing to do with property that you own. I have done permitted electrical work on my property and have never had an issue.

james

Why would bring this up, just because your a contractor doesn't mean you know what your doing. I've seen my share of remodels that were butchered by so called contractors. I'm currently finishing up a remodel that included all aspects of construction, this is our second house gut job all without so called qualified contractors.

I prefer not to use contractors, have you ever seen the movie, The Money Pit?

Rod is in. Top of rod is about 1ft below grade. 4awg ground wire attached and ran with excess coiled ready to connect into a future box.

Maxkling,

there are several reasons to be licensed.
Liability - the home owners insurance may not cover the house if there is an electrical fire and it is because of incorrect wiring. Part substitution in the electrical box is one of those exceptions. let's say you have a Sq. D panel and you buy a generic breaker that will work. the insurance company may not pay because you used the wrong part. Also, if you sell the house and there is an issue, the one that does the work can be forced to fix the issue if found by the buyer within x number of days.

in my area, no home owner who pulls an electrical permit and does the work will have his work passed by the inspector. there was an incident years ago, the work passed inspection, there was a fire, and the inspection office took a big hit, the home was destroyed. I do not know the outcome, but that's the reason.

I am dealing with that issue now and have fixed many of the previous owner's in home additions. how it ever passed code I will never know. By the way, i'm an Electrical Engineer and my county inspectors and power company know me and my work.

james