OT How to Size servo controller to servo motor

controlconcepts

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been wanting for along time to experiment and get more involved with some servo / motion control to learn and expand my control knowledge. So what stopped me was cost, and no knowledge as how to pick and match parts. I was on Ebay browsing and found a push button station type of a trainer for $50 WoW really nice 12 illuminated push buttons 4 selector switches 2 Simpson volt meter's 2 AB pot's and 2 servo motors

with encoders whaaat a score. 🍻

Now to the question how do I match this to a servo controller? This is something I have never really worked with servos before let alone sizing.

Allen Bradley servo motor

Y-1002-2-H00AA Series C
Part #193509

encoder feedback cable attached to servo motor with what looks like a vga 15 pin connector

Bulletin 2090
2090-UXNFBY-S01
SERIES B
XM 7/12/05

Thanks in advance for any help and if more info is needed please just ask.

PushButtonStation.jpg

Last edited:
So seems like this is the motor: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1398-in518_-en-p.pdf

You can find out how to read the part number on page 3. Seems like you have a 230VAC motor. Follow the right installation instruction to get started.

This is the manual: https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1398-rm008_-en-p.pdf

Page 21 also talks about drive/motor combos. Essentially you can look at the motor's characteristics, and find a drive which will be complimentary to your motor. Or you can find the ones rockwell explicitly recommends.

Thank you so much PreLC for the links. Yes I figured it was a 230 volt 3 phase AC motor from the first manual you linked that I read and found before. In the installation instruction manual I don't see a page 21 is that maybe a bad link for that. I figured on the motor side just matching it's characteristics would be easy. It's more on the end of the encoder or feedback control is where I was getting stuck on how to match that up to any particular Drive. And I'm not sure even what to call it a Servo Drive Servo controller Etc so maybe my Google fo will be better once I figure out what I'm exactly looking for. Again thanks so much for the help appreciate it.

Thank you so much PreLC for the links. Yes I figured it was a 230 volt 3 phase AC motor from the first manual you linked that I read and found before. In the installation instruction manual I don't see a page 21 is that maybe a bad link for that. I figured on the motor side just matching it's characteristics would be easy. It's more on the end of the encoder or feedback control is where I was getting stuck on how to match that up to any particular Drive. And I'm not sure even what to call it a Servo Drive Servo controller Etc so maybe my Google fo will be better once I figure out what I'm exactly looking for. Again thanks so much for the help appreciate it.

Not sure if you could look at both the links I shared. The second link is the manual, which includes more details.

The encoder should be able to integrate with the servo. A servo=Motor+encoder. That's the definition. Motor with position feedback.

Study the type of encoder this is. Do you have a PLC/Oscilloscope? You can look at the encoder characteristic to study it.

Yes I could look at both links that you sent both of the PDFs only go up to page 10 or 16 I just checked.

And yes that much about the encoder and Servo motor all being one part I completely understand.

I do have many plcs available nothing with a high-speed counter though and I've been waiting to buy an oscilloscope for a while. I'm back home now in the Northeast and there's electronic surplus stores that I can pick up stuff like that at.

So how would I go about studying the characteristics of the encoder with a PLC as an example? would I need a high-speed input card?

I can see how the encoder is wired and set up in the first motor user manual is just how do I compare that to the servo Drive Unit? Like would I have to buy a Servo controller that had all three of the phases like A B I and also
Hall A B C hallefect sensors or can one set of sensors be used I'm not quite sure this is my conundrum.

And again thank you so much for all the information.

Last edited:
Typically, the motor's encoder goes back to the servo drive, not direct to the PLC.

It would go to the PLC if it was a stand-alone encoder that you were using to e.g. track position of a conveyor.

You send a command (can even be digital) from the PLC to the drive, and it asks the servo controller to index X etc. The servo controller sends power to the motor, gets feedback from the encoder, and ensures it does what it has been told to.

Thanks MSP, I understand exactly all of what you're saying pertaining to how the systems work. What the main question I think I have here is how do I buy a Servo Drive controller that will work with this servo motor and encoder. Thanks again

Spend some time on google with your own part numbers, find a drive that accepts that cable, and that is rated for the voltage and current of the motor. Then when you find out what you need, off to eBay or Radwell etc.

I would offer my personal experience but I've never worked with AB motion, sorry. I worked on a lot of Pacific Scientific drives and Kollmorgen in my past years. I covered motion as part of my Beckhoff Twincat course too.

Ultra3000 a small one should work, or the newer K5100 should also work.
If you want one that used the Logix5000 motion instructions then you will need something in the K6500 range or the newer K5500 or K5700 range, maybe a K2000 may work as they were designed for small loads.

Thank you so much Alan_505. I just found the ultra 3000 Series manuals last night and found out that they would work with the y-series motors. That's awesome I didn't know about any of the other ones so that is great information thank you so much for all the options. One other question is with the ultra series do I need the software to program it (Utraware I think) I know it's discontinued but not sure if it can be purchased, downloaded or absolutely necessary to program. Thank you again so much

Yes you will need to Ultraware to program the U3000, there a 2 main models, an indexing model and a standard model, there are also ones with DeviceNet or Sercos control these can be converted to indexing mode with UltraWare. They can be controlled by Logix5000 by using a 1756-M0A2E by using the voltage output of the M02AE card to the U3000 analogue in.