OT....liquid temp control

I thought about automating my brewing setup but realized that it would be like combining what I do all day with what I do to get away from what I do all day. That and I like to adhere to the KISS school of thought.

My igloo industrial cooler makes a nifty mash tun and will lose no more than one or two degrees over an hour. Boiling is just boiling, I crank the propane until I get a hot break and then lower to a good full rolling boil.

Although a Brutus 10 would be fun to build. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCVsoULzCyg

As far as automated systems go, that one is very primative. Wheres the HMI? Where the logs? No hardpiping? How do you run your automatic CIP cycle? Wheres your automated ramp / soak sequence in the mash? :)

All kidding aside, I think this system is what the poster is actually looking for, ie, burner control on a direct fired reciculating mash tun.

That is a pretty nice system. Still a bit low on automation. :) A dataliner, thats it? Come on, where is the touch screen? Wheres the wonderware? ;)

That is about the fanciest system ive seen for that size, it even has rakes and a spent grain removal on the mashtun!!!! On, what a 1 bbl system?!? Thats awesome. A bottling line??! For batches that small?! Its insane! But in a good way.

Matthias von Zorn said:
That is a pretty nice system. Still a bit low on automation. :) A dataliner, thats it? Come on, where is the touch screen? Wheres the wonderware? ;)

That is about the fanciest system ive seen for that size, it even has rakes and a spent grain removal on the mashtun!!!! On, what a 1 bbl system?!? Thats awesome. A bottling line??! For batches that small?! Its insane! But in a good way.

If you get a chance, visit one of the major breweries. They do have the toys! Almost as much fun as Disney ---

Oh I do. Ive been to probably 60 or 70 breweries. Ive done some automation work for one as well. Ive also had data collected through wonderware published in Zymurgy magazine. Beer truely is a blessing on man.