OT - Maintenance Management Software

rsdoran said:
I am not familiar with Maximo, but do know what SAP is and there is a Datastream program some what similar.

The OP talked about DataStream MP2 http://www.datastream.net/english/products/mp2.aspx
which is a maintenance program.

The problem, as I have experienced it, is that to establish any "system" it takes at least one full time person (possibly more) to setup and maintain the system. Much of the details depend on the size of the company and getting all the necessary information into the system....AS NEEDED.

Personally like MP2, for a price they use to come in and setup a system for you. Grainger use to sell a program they had for $189, this was 8 years ago, that was really easy to use

Here is a list of software, demos, shareware, and freeware: http://www.plant-maintenance.com/freestuff/index.shtml

Here is one I played around with that seems ok, its $500: http://www.imonitsoftware.com/

Use the keyword CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) for a google search.
There's the rub... OP is looking for system that DOESN'T require a full time person. Something simple and intuitive... where Mfg Eng's could input Equip Data, required PM's, and Spare Parts info and then Maint could use it to Print out PM's, find Spare Parts, look up Asset info on equipment. Maybe Maint Supv would spend a little time tracking PM completion, but they wouldn't be CMMS Coordinator.

unfortunately...

The powers that be tried implementing SAP where I work about ten years ago. It sucked up several people for a couple of years. It never worked well enough as a cmms. One of the techs hacked on an access db part time and built up a very robust home grown system. He maintains it as a side job and adds features when needed/requested.

I know you said you didn't want a "roll your own" approach, but unless you have the resources to dedicate a full time team to making an off the shelf solution work, it won't.

$0.02

I have used MP2 and liked it. However thats the only one I have used. One of the things I liked about it was you could attach files to each machine. So I also used it to keep up with drawings and programs for each machine. I found it to be very powerful.

I'm training people from a dredging firm how to use AMOS M&P. This might be over the top for what you're looking for, but it has every feature you're mentioning. Because that firm is using it on their ships, they even have the need for regular (read: daily) synchronisation between the head office and the ships in question.

Kind regards,

What does SAP do that no other competitor can accomplish? I've talked to several people directly who claimed to be "too small" for their several million $ SAP projects (for SAP alone). They got the software installed, but said that it didn't work for them because they couldn't afford to customize it. W T F? What's it doing that's so special? I keep hearing that companies "love it or hate it" or "it makes or breaks them", but those never come with specifics - I must be in the wrong business.

harryting said:
Used SAP briefly. It so "popular" because there is no real competitor to what it can do, as far as intergrating various function of a company. Heck, I hear Microsoft use it as its primary corporate management software.

I have no idea where you get the 90% negative comment from. It's just like office and desktop OS application for Microsoft, people will b*tch about it but there's no real alternative out there.

Another tidbit, a good SAP dude makes about $100k+ easy