OT- PC LCD Life / Burn in problems

MikeW

We're replacing a data acquisition system we had in our lab for the last six years. The system had numerous CRTs powered by a BlackBox VGA extender for remote viewing outside the control room. These displays are showing image burn in as can be expected since they are on 24/7 and the display does not change that frequently. A screen saver is not used as there is no input device remotely to "wake up" after the screen saver kicks in.

The new system is similar on the PC end except now LCD screens are going to be used. The first system is already show signs of age even though the monitors have only be on for about two week. A couple of questions:

- What would you expect the life expectancy of Dell LCD monitors to be?

- Any solutions?
We're thinking of having power switches at each monitor so that they can be powered up when needed and then probably have a timer to cycle the power after, say, 10 minutes.

Any other suggestion that come to mind?

TIA,
Mike W

MikeW said:
The new system is similar on the PC end except now LCD screens are going to be used. The first system is already show signs of age even though the monitors have only be on for about two week. A couple of questions:

What are the "signs of age"?? seems like LCDs should'nt "burn in" but maybe the backlight might burn out?? I've replace a few backlights in laptops etc..but not after just a few weeks.

Mike,

It's basically leaving "ghosts" where a previous window was once it shuts down around it's edges, grayed out instead of the usual black when the monitor goes into a blank screen like on a blank screen saver. The windows are not maximized in size so there a number of these starting to become evident.

The main IT support guy I usually talk with is out of the office this week so I will also see next week if there is a known Dell problem with the LCDs.

Main problem with Flat Panel LCD is a backlight - brightness goes down very fast.

I think it is a common mistake to use a screensaver with LCD - you have to turn them off instead. Screensaver still keeps backlight ON

Maybe....use could use the "Power" options under the Screensaver tab to turn off the back light.

Hey..how about a video out to a plasma TV??

Maybe....use could use the "Power" options under the Screensaver tab to turn off the back light.

Thanks for making this clear - this is exactly what I was going to say in my ppost above, but after I re-read my post I realized that I did not say that...

LCD MONITOR

HEY HOW ABOUT USING A LCD TOUCH SCREEN MONITOR? IT WILL ALLOW YOU TO WAKE UP THE MONITOR WITH THE TOUCH OF THE SCREEN, ALSO WILL ALLOW TO CONTROL THE COMPUTER, THE ONLY THING TO HAVI IN MIND IS TO USE ONE WITH USB INPUT FOR THE TOUCH SCREEN, THEARE QUITE A FEW MODELS OUTHEARE I PERSONALLY HAVE USED SOME AND WORKS GREAT, THE ONLY THING IS YOU MUST HAVE A USB HUB FOR ALL THE MONITORS TO CONTROL THE COMPUTER AND RUN THE USB CABLES TO THE SCREENS.

So, based on the fact the back light is the apparent "problem", I'll be cycling the 120VAC as required for viewing.

Plasma Monitors? A bit pricey for this application (besides, the LCDs are in house)

Touch screens are out of the question as the screens are mount 8' off the floor in a box with a clear plexiglass cover to prevent accidental water spray from soaking them down.

LCD Monitors also have a 'Memory' where if you keep the same image on the screen for long periods of time (hours) it may take 4 hours or more to overcome this 'Memory'. It really does not hurt anything or take away from the life of the display but it is annoying on a screen that has limited use.
As far as the backlight issue, very good way to limit this problem is to keep the brightness of the backlight to the minimum required. Most of the latest power controls allow for lowering this after a predetermined time.

Finally got hold of my IT contact and he did some research. He found that burn in is possible on LCD's and sometimes is reversible. The best solution is to turn the off or use a screen saver.

Since this application may have some forms located in exactly the same place on the screen for a week or more in exactly the same location with only the data values being updated, cycling the power appears to be the best solution.

I agree with turning the monitors off regularly however if the lcd's are not equipment that is set in stone you might want to check out NOAX touch screens they are industrial use. We've used them for 4 years in a wet high washdown environment with little problems even on menus that never change we don't experience any burnins. I recall someone once telling me that interleaved monitors won't do so.