OT:Schooling

jprindle

I am sure some of the people have been in the same boat that I am currently in. I have been programming PLCs, vision systems, and control systems for a while, but am stuck in my current position because I only have an associates degree in electronics, not a bachelor's. I truly feel it has no bearing on how I perform my job, but in this day and age, a degree seems to be more important than the skill it once represented. I realize that arguing about this is a moot point, and know that I must get a degree to receive the wage that I feel I am worth. Has anybody received a bachelor's online? What school, and how long did it take? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do you feel that you are "stuck in your position" (as in job title)or "stuck with your wage?" For me that would have a bearing on whether or not it was worth it to go back to school.

there is a ceiling as far as wages go, with the higher degree comes higher pay. Most places are requiring a 2 year degree for maintenance workers, regardless of field experience. It's worth it to go back to school.

I have no degree except for navy electronics school. It turns out I have a knack for this kind of work, though, it seems. I get paid pretty well for what I do and know a good many others without degrees that do also, but you have to be a little bit better than the ones with degrees to get that door opened. What I have noticed is that big manufacturing companies want the degree, the integrators and engineering firms want people that can make things happen. Making things happen isn't limited to being a great programmer, but being able to move a project forward, on budget, while keeping the customer and other contractors happy, even if the hold up isn't yours. If you can do this you will become a valuable person to a company. Who cares if your business card doesn't say engineer as long as you get paid like one?

There lies my issue. I don't get paid like one. I can do things that the engineers with degrees can't do, but they make more. I simply need the degree to make more money. The sad truth. I honestly don't feel like a degree will allow me to do anything I can't do now, but there is a big difference in how the company I work for views things. I was thinking of Kennedy-Western, just to get the piece of paper, but wanted to get some input from anyone else who has run into a similiar situation. I feel discriminated on simply because I don't have a piece of paper to support what I can do, when I have proven my abilities numerous times. Oh, well. Anybody know where I can get a degree fast?

I'm partially with jtn on this one. Internal to any given small company you will most often ultimately be paid what you are worth to the company (or more correctly what the company can reasonably afford to pay you) regardless of degree. Performance talks and most companies will attempt to reward performance to some degree.

However, your level of education will define your opportunities if you try to move on, especially to a larger company.

But there is also the idea of getting additional education simply to increase your level of knowledge. I learn things on this website on a regular basis. Some of it I could also learn if I chose to further my education. All the stuff I learn here could be put to good use in my job. Do I absolutely need this knowledge to perform my job? Not always. Would it make my professional life easier if I had additional knowledge? Usually yes.

Be careful of the concept of 'being paid what you are worth'. If a company actually paid you and everyone else what they are worth to the success of the company the company would go out of business. Keep in mind that, with few exceptions, you as an employee are assuming very little risk. If you want to be paid what you are worth, become a consultant and take on the risks of self-employment. Generally any given employer, especially small employers, will pay you what they can reasonably afford. This is less true of large companies but it still applies to a certain degree. That's why telling a company you will leave if you are not paid more doesn't always work. You are often being paid what the company can afford already.

Keith

jtn said:
Who cares if your business card doesn't say engineer as long as you get paid like one?

I am currently still in school to get my bachelors degree, but have 17 years field experience. As far as pay goes, I make better than the average engineer in this area. But, that is because I have a reputation in this area...if I were to move, say, 300 miles away, then things would be different. That's why I'm in school.

While I believe there is a such thing as too much automation, there is no such thing as too much education.

I also have a 2 year degree and Iam working for an integrator. My so called title is software engineer and am making close to 20/hr. I think I deserve better and have been looking and have had 4 offers in the last six months worth up to 55k year. One of them was actually going to send me back to school, but the problem with all of this is they are out of state. Im not in the position to make a move right now. So I dont know what is better, getting 4 year degree or working in the field and actually gaining experience while the other people are still in school the final 2 years.

One of the problems that I have is this is a very large company. I know this is not an issue of being able to afford to pay more, it is simply an issue of a wage gap caused by my lack of a degree. If I did the same job with a 4 year degree instead of a 2 year degree, I would make about $10,000/year more.

kamenges said:
I'm partially with jtn on this one. Internal to any given small company you will most often ultimately be paid what you are worth to the company (or more correctly what the company can reasonably afford to pay you) regardless of degree. Performance talks and most companies will attempt to reward performance to some degree.

However, your level of education will define your opportunities if you try to move on, especially to a larger company.

But there is also the idea of getting additional education simply to increase your level of knowledge. I learn things on this website on a regular basis. Some of it I could also learn if I chose to further my education. All the stuff I learn here could be put to good use in my job. Do I absolutely need this knowledge to perform my job? Not always. Would it make my professional life easier if I had additional knowledge? Usually yes.

Be careful of the concept of 'being paid what you are worth'. If a company actually paid you and everyone else what they are worth to the success of the company the company would go out of business. Keep in mind that, with few exceptions, you as an employee are assuming very little risk. If you want to be paid what you are worth, become a consultant and take on the risks of self-employment. Generally any given employer, especially small employers, will pay you what they can reasonably afford. This is less true of large companies but it still applies to a certain degree. That's why telling a company you will leave if you are not paid more doesn't always work. You are often being paid what the company can afford already.

Keith

large companies usually have wage ranges...and it seems you don't meet the criteria to advance to the next range.

My advice? Get the degree, but not for the company or the money, although the money is a factor. Get the degree for YOU.

stasis said:
large companies usually have wage ranges...and it seems you don't meet the criteria to advance to the next range.

My advice? Get the degree, but not for the company or the money, although the money is a factor. Get the degree for YOU.

Agreed...now the question is where? I have an AA Degree in electronics, and would like to transfer credits. Any ideas?

You already mentioned Kennedy Western...as for a specialized degree. You can 'go to class' at home, and they are accredited. Most employers do not have a problem with this type of degree, in fact some even prefer it.

Don't get me wrong, I totally encourage someone to get a degree if they can. I wish I had one, I would have gotten to where I am faster. Also, I moved from one side of the country to the other, and had to rebuild my reputation upon arriving. Fortunately the engineering firm I was working for gave me a really good referral so I didn't really get set back pay wise, but I had to prove myself all over again. I didn't work for a big company at first, I had to pay some serious dues at small shops working long hours for little pay and pull myself up. I just want to emphasize that if you can't get a degree for some reason don't think that you are stuck - figure out what you don't know and figure out how you are going to learn it. There is always something else to learn. If you are a pretty good programmer, learn to design the control system. If you already know that, learn how jobs are set up and how to manage a job and keep it on budget. If you already know that, learn how the overall business works. My eyes were really opened up when I started looking at work not from the programmers perspective, but from a business standpoint. Learn everything you can about the business of controls, not just how to do controls work. Also, I would like to add that unless you have done some serious studying there are things that engineers can do that you probably can't, they learn a lot in school that has to do with other disciplines and such.

Back to the original question, does this type of school hold any creditability?,

jprindle said:
Has anybody received a bachelor's online? What school, and how long did it take? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.