Schooling

I was just looking at the george brown course. right now i work as a technician mostly troubleshooting stuff through the logic. I also do some programming but nothing full blown. I plan on getting more into the programming side in the near future. I was just wondering if a course like this would help me or if I would be better off just kind of learning on my own. I have a pretty wide knowledge of plc's and logic but just havent done any projects from the start. What i dont want is to take this course and at the end think that I already knew 80% of this and the other 20% I dont really need. How does a certification like this look to a company hiring prospects?

If You Been Doing This For Some Time And Know PLC Pretty good and Just Want To Learn Programming, I Would Get the PLC Trainer Software You Can Learn Alot Just With That, I Have Had It For Some Time And I Can Program, But I Want To Learn The Ins And Outs Of Design, Learn Analog.Programming Inputs And Outputs On The Relay Side, That Is the Easy Part. Make A System Work All Togeather From Your Design Now Thats Programming

Any updates on this course? I am also thinking of taking it and would like some imput before enrolling. About how long does each course take? Is it well thought out? How are the tests taken? Can they be retaken to improve a bad score? Thanks

The Cource Is Going Well, there Are 19 Modules, Im in the 3rd, they Say 37 Weeks To complete At A Part Time Pace, I Have Been At It For three Months, Part Time, You Can Pay As You Go, 65.00 Per Module, Up Front Is 450.00 that Includes the Software and the first Module. With Me Working 60 Hours A Week I think im On A Good Pace.Im In the Practice Exams For The 3rd Module Right Now, there Is No Final Exam Retake. You Can How Ever Take The Practice Exams As Many time As You Like, Each time You Take It they Are Different.I Do Know You Have To Take Your Time And Read Each Question Vary Carefully. they Do Try To Trick You Up With The Way They Ask the Question. So If You Dont Pay Attention You May think You Are Right but You Are Not. The First Two Modules Are Vary Easy, the 3rd Is Really Getting Into The Analog With Encoders,Temp,Speed,Motion, Drives,Robots And The Moduls You Can use For These Application.the first Two Modules You Will Fly through And then When You Get To The 3rd You Will Slow Down A Bit, Vary Intense, Im Am New With PLC So I Think Its A Vary Good Lesson For Me. there Is Much Much More I Can Go On And On Hope It this Helps You, Any More Question Please Ask
JBD

Is it all simulation? Or do you actually hook things up and testing them? And also what kind of programming software is provided. What PLC are you using to practice your work?

Thanks,
Vikka

Its All Simulation, As Of Right Now I Have Not Done Any Projects On the Software Im Still In the Text Part Of the Software. I Think You Get Into PLC Projest In the 7th Module, Thats Were they Will Give You A Project And You Have To Complete It And then You Will Get A Grade On It. The Project PLC Simulation Is With A&B SLC 500 PLC, I Have the Same Project Software In My Computer Here At Work, I Have Been Playing With That For A While Now. You Can Learn Alot From that But With The Text You Lean Alot More. I Have Learned Alot Already. I Look At My Machines Here At Work With A Differant Attitude Now, I Under Stand A Little More About The Way Things Are Working And What Makes Them Work. So I Guess For Me Its A Good Program, Let Me Tell You This, I Have Bought The books All Kinds Of books, Spent Alot Of Money On Books, And Alot Of Money On Software, This Program Is by Far For Me the Way To go,I Enjoy It And When You Get Done Studing You Know You Have Learned Somthing, For Some one That Already Has the Know how It May Not Be For Them, I Ready Alot Of Post On This Site And There Are Guys On Here That Know Their #@@$#$%$%## And That Is What I Want To Be Some Day, Will It Be From this Program, Im Sure It will Not, But I Can Tell You this I Know More Now then I Did Before I Started. I Have A Guy that Comes Into My Plant When There Is A Problem that I Cant Handle, And He Blows Me Away. Hands On Is Where You Learn All About This, Just Like Anything Hands On. I Bought A A&B SLC 5/02 On Ebay For 200.00. 7 Slot With 4 Input Modules And 2 Output Modules My Company Bought The A&B Software 1,500 And I Bought The Programming Cable. USB That Set Me Back 300.00 But Its All Part Of It, Im Now Programming Timers Counters Motor Contactors Just Makeing things Work, Right Now Im Working With An Old Robot We Have Here Trying To Make It Install Rubber Washers that We Install On Parts Here. I Guess Its All About What You are Looking For. For Me It Works

jdb said:
Its All Simulation, As Of Right Now I Have Not Done Any Projects On the Software Im Still In the Text Part Of the Software. I Think You Get Into PLC Projest In the 7th Module, Thats Were they Will Give You A Project And You Have To Complete It And then You Will Get A Grade On It. The Project PLC Simulation Is With A&B SLC 500 PLC, I Have the Same Project Software In My Computer Here At Work, I Have Been Playing With That For A While Now. You Can Learn Alot From that But With The Text You Lean Alot More. I Have Learned Alot Already. I Look At My Machines Here At Work With A Differant Attitude Now, I Under Stand A Little More About The Way Things Are Working And What Makes Them Work. So I Guess For Me Its A Good Program, Let Me Tell You This, I Have Bought The books All Kinds Of books, Spent Alot Of Money On Books, And Alot Of Money On Software, This Program Is by Far For Me the Way To go,I Enjoy It And When You Get Done Studing You Know You Have Learned Somthing, For Some one That Already Has the Know how It May Not Be For Them, I Ready Alot Of Post On This Site And There Are Guys On Here That Know Their #@@$#$%$%## And That Is What I Want To Be Some Day, Will It Be From this Program, Im Sure It will Not, But I Can Tell You this I Know More Now then I Did Before I Started. I Have A Guy that Comes Into My Plant When There Is A Problem that I Cant Handle, And He Blows Me Away. Hands On Is Where You Learn All About This, Just Like Anything Hands On. I Bought A A&B SLC 5/02 On Ebay For 200.00. 7 Slot With 4 Input Modules And 2 Output Modules My Company Bought The A&B Software 1,500 And I Bought The Programming Cable. USB That Set Me Back 300.00 But Its All Part Of It, Im Now Programming Timers Counters Motor Contactors Just Makeing things Work, Right Now Im Working With An Old Robot We Have Here Trying To Make It Install Rubber Washers that We Install On Parts Here. I Guess Its All About What You are Looking For. For Me It Works

Why do you start every word off with a capital letter? It's very interesting what you have to say, but it's very irritating for the eye with all the capital letters. Just thought id let you know

Thank you all for the info. I am still not sure if I be interested in. I have all the material at work to use, but no guidence. I am not very booksmart. I have to actually do it and learn from it, and if I ever need to open up a referance book,because I am stuck.

I was only trying to tell you that your text looks very confusing and help you so that you wouldn't come off iliterate, but I see now that it can't be helped and that that is not all you are.
I didn't reply to your first insult because i didn't want to turn this into a rant and I didn't want to take it down to this level.
If you wish to reply, do it to me personally through PM's and I will ignore you there.

Your best friend

Jesper

Thanks for all the info on this class. I think I am going to try it out. I am waiting to see if work will pay for it. If they say yes...its a go.

jdb said:

I wondered the same thing about the writing aspect. You do not capitalize every word so not sure why you capitalize any except those at the beginning of a sentence or to denote a name i.e. just those that should be capitalized. It has nothing to do with the eyes actually, it has more to do with being able to read what is said, capitalizing the letters in this fashion makes it difficult to understand where sentences end or begin, gets even more difficult when its not separated into paragraphs and/or proper punctuation is not used.

Just in case you do not know "alot" is not a word, just as you wouldn’t write “alittle” you shouldn’t write “alot.”

I know many have issues with spelling and grammar but it is nice when people make an effort.