OT: Searching for best free Image backup software?

You can put your photos in a Microsoft OneDrive folder, because even if you delete them Microsoft keeps a copy and on the anniversary date of the photo you will get a desktop notification showing all the deleted photos to your new wife and stepchildren on every computer your OneDrive folder is linked to that was taken when you were single.

The only control users have over this is turning off the anniversary notifications, you can't stop Microsoft from keeping copies. Plus that's ALL files, not just photos and videos.

You can put your photos in a Microsoft OneDrive folder, because even if you delete them Microsoft keeps a copy and on the anniversary date of the photo ...

So, just disable OneDrive, or just store your files somewhere other than your preconfigured Documents/Pictures/Downloads/etc folders. No big deal.

Note: If you have been using Default storage locations, COPY YOUR DATA ELSEWHERE BEFORE removing/deleting OneDrive (or any similar, annoying service).

Photos ?
When the thread mentions 'Image Software' I dont think it means photos or pictures.
It means software to create and restore low-level backup of a hard-drive or a partition.

[..] because even if you delete them Microsoft keeps a copy [..]
How can that be legal ?
Good to know that one shall definitely not use MS onedrive.

So, just disable OneDrive, or just store your files somewhere other than your preconfigured Documents/Pictures/Downloads/etc folders. No big deal.

1. The main reason for using OneDrive was any photos taken on my phone or tablet in the shop were downloaded to my computer before I got back to my desk.

2. You don't find out about this "feature" until 2 or 3 years later

How can that be legal ?

When you install ANY software you get a license agreement and user policy agreement you have to agree to that would take 2 hours to read through, so everyone just clicks AGREE?

Anything they hide deep down inside that they can do since you clicked agree, and courts have upheld those click agreements as legally binding and the company can do whatever they said they were going to do.

There was a photo app that would take your photo, or any photo you uploaded, and age progress it 40 years. Cool to some people, but their agreement gave them the full rights to use every and any photograph for any purpose they wanted, including in advertisements, promotions, posters, anything - with no compensation or control of how it was used by the person.

Slightly veering OT, although I do do use Macrium Reflect and Partition Wizard on Hirens Boot CD, kept on a bootable USB in my kit.

I bought this disk duplicator to handle hard drive upgrades. It can also act as a dock, so if you have a drive you can't remember what it was used for, you can easily check it out.

It cloned a very full 512Gb (as in 250Mb free) drive to a 1TB in 13 minutes, which is nice, but the partition sizes stayed the same. Another reason to keep Hiren's handy. Even with having to resize the partitions, the entire upgrade process was about 20 minutes.

Of course, now that NVMe drives are in play, it's probably time to get a new duplicator.

Thank you all for the answers. I was just looking for good backup software.
I think I will go for VMware backup solutions. My PC crashed very bad a week ago, and the company I hired has just finished the data recovery process. Thankfully, they were able to save as much data as possible. If I lost all of it, I would have to start too many things right from the beginning. So, now, when I get a new PC, I do my best to keep all my data backed up so I will not be caught in the same trap again. That is why I’m looking for comfortable software to copy all of my data on an external SSD.

Last edited: