OT- Stirling engine calculations

rsdoran said:
If that is what you are saying then right or wrong I do not think I will listen to you again on any subject.

So how many people does that make beside Peter?

Up yours

I wrote a response to this but decided not to post it.

THEY know that heat produced is not proportional to power used EVEN if it is a thermal system.

It is just stirring the waters.

THEY also know that it is more productive to cool any micro-controller system then it is to make it create heat to use for some other purpose.

IF they don't....

I do not have to say more.

Phil, if you read this it will not hurt my feeling if you remove me from the member list and block me from re-registering. I am not a plc expert so there will be no loss.

Ron,

You get way to stress out, be like a duck and let their tears run off your back...

Why would you use a different user name? You need to grow up and face your fears, if you fear Ron then you need to face him, Ron is very opinionated (there is no debating that) but if we all had the same thoughts then this site would not be needed

I for one have disagreed with Ron and others on many matters, but this makes good conversation or arguments and I have learned a lot from all.

So to quote my friend... "up yours" (y)

I feel like picking some nits, so here goes...

The statement that "all the power in a computer is converted to heat" is pretty much correct. A big chunk is converted to heat right away by the power supply. More is converted to heat by the various electronic devices (like the processor). Still more is converted to kinetic and then back to heat by motors (hard drive and fans). But just a little bit gets to escape as light. <g>

Probably a lot like this thread. <g>

THEY also know that it is more productive to cool any micro-controller system then it is to make it create heat to use for some other purpose.

Yes... You are entirely correct.

But... That's not the POINT of why I'm looking at this. I'm not trying to cool my system any more.... It's fine....

Obviously, if my system was overheating, I wouldn't be looking for some type of goofy alternative cooling system... I'd add some peltier coolers, or a water cooling system, or even(I like that idea btw) build it in a small refrigerator.

THE POINT.... Is investigating new things that I don't know a darn thing about.... Like stirling engines, or hydrogen power systems, or.... Any number of other things I don't know anything about. That's why I posted this to begin with.

Please try to stop taking everything personally.... I've been reading these boards for the last three years, and I've always valued your input. If people don't agree with you, it's not a personal attack. Relax a little.... Please...

Doug_Adam posted the best response so far, in that he ANSWERED my question from his own experience(which, if you read back a couple of pages, was what my original question was)

And that is, for a 20 degree temp differential at about room temperature, the maximum possible efficiency is going to be about 6 percent. Counting in losses from overhead(making the machine move) and say... a 50% heat transfer(being generous here)

Give's me around ummm 3watts to play with.... Not very impressive, or useful.

But I'm still going to build my conversation piece.... Just because I like the idea of it.

Last edited:
geniusintraining said:
Ron,

You get way to stress out, be like a duck and let their tears run off your back...

Why would you use a different user name? You need to grow up and face your fears, if you fear Ron then you need to face him, Ron is very opinionated (there is no debating that) but if we all had the same thoughts then this site would not be needed

I for one have disagreed with Ron and others on many matters, but this makes good conversation or arguments and I have learned a lot from all.

So to quote my friend... "up yours" (y)

Talk about GROWING UP!!!!! "UP MINE?!?!?!?!?!?"

So much for open dialog. If anyone disagrees, just resort to name calling and bash them until they are gone. Not to worry, I don't learn very well from anyone with a condensending attitude like I see here.

Last edited:
Mark, I'm still curious so I thought I continue on trying to understand your line of thinking. How is it that Ron can call people "stupid" (I am paraphrasing - he never did use that word, but the sentiment was there), and basically tell people off and I become the moron? If someone has a different view, instead of listening and learning, the gist is to berate them. How is someone supposed to learn if any opposing view is met with combativeness? If my professor told me something that I have never heard and on first glance didn't fully understand, I would never tell him that he doesn't know what he is talking about and I'll never listen to ANYTHING he has to say ever. I just don't understand how or even why you are defending that kind of attitude. If you truly are "in training" then I would expect you to have an open mind and rationally discuss the item up for debate. If anyone should be chastised, I would think (in my humble opinion at least), it would be the person who instead of wanting to discuss the topic like a mature adult, bullies the people he/she disagrees with.

I would hope that most of the members on this site would agree that a rational discussion is much better than telling someone off.

123, I think you misunderstood and then took out of context Ron's words in your post (#31).

Let me state it this way; nearly all energy becomes heat in the end, but in terms of a computer (or any other system) is it useful to proclaim that all energy is turned into heat and be done with the analysis or is it more useful to examine how all the energy is used in a more immediate sense... This started off with the question of how much heat energy is available from a computer for running a Stirling engine; not all of the energy consumed by the computer will realistically be available for a Stirling engine, like the energy that is used to spin the fans, yes friction of the air will cause all that energy to become heat, but by then it has dissipated and won't be useful for our purpose (hence the purpose of the fan to begin with).

So, 123, why is it that you have chosen to become anonymous for this discussion? Why are you unwilling to associate your name with your comments?

We have two scenarios here.

1st, You are new to the site and this was your first post… is that the first impression you want to make...insulting someone that has over 5,000 post here? Whether we agree with Ron’s statements or not we all have learned something from him. That is what this site is about learning and teaching and enjoying.

Also forgiving I have gotten into several debates with others here, they have all forgiven me for being a ***, this I can be at times, but when I see someone insult a member, then I will defend/support that member, I also know that Ron can defend himself and Peter Nachtwey can also do his part, they are both very smart people.

So if this was your first post...by now you are getting the just of this site, we are like a big family, bickering back and forth...hell we all think we a right and that makes for good conversation.

If you are new Welcome, I hope you can enjoy it like I do. Just remember that there are many different personalities here and read the top of the page New Here? Please read this important info!!!

2nd, You have been a long time member and log in as 123 to hide behind something and not face the facts, fact being Ron is correct and you can’t stand it...

But no matter what the scenario is...let it go!, we both said what we needed to say, lets get back to learning, helping and forgiving.

Tom_Stalcup, sorry for screwing up your good thread