OT: Switch Gear

I like Siemens gear and AB MCC's. Haven't used big CH or GE gear yet.

I installed some Sq D switchgear with an attached MCC a year ago for the first time. NOT IMPRESSED. Customer purchased it because it was the cheapest combination.

Some of the problems were:

1. Endplate between switchgear and MCC was punched wrong. Sq D had to send us a new one.

2. Tunnel between switchgear and MCC for bussing to pass through was built poorly, had to ream out bolt holes to get bolts started. As well as beat the tunnel into a rectangular shape rather than diamond-like shape it showed up as. It wasn't freight damaged either.

3. 1600 amp MCC bussing required a block of wood and a baby sledge to get it to slide together and bolt up. It was a bear. I've never needed to beat bussing in place between sections of anything. Ever.

4. No way to torque ONE of the bolts properly in the switchgear section that transitioned from the switchgear horizontal bussing to vertical bussing. Required a different kind of torque wrench than the usual ratchet click type. I'm not buying that for one bolt, sorry.

I know my list would be twice as long as this, but I've forgotten half of the **** that was wrong since I did the job.

AB has networking on a lot of there gear I did a DeviceNet MCC a couple of years ago and it was great. It was great except for the DNet part. I think they have Ethernet versions now.

Yes, they do. We just installed some a few months ago. The motor overloads require a programmer to set them.

Last edited:
so if you want to get it all in one brand, you would have to go with Siemens or GE. Square D is sort of in-between, having MCCs and also some higher voltage transformers and switchgear.
You do realise that SquareD is now part of Schneider Electric

You do realise that SquareD is now part of Schneider Electric
Has been for many years.
I shudder if I see CH ACBs or MCCBs in a switch board to be honest.
These days I use Schneider - love the fact that you can buy an MCCB body, protection unit with comms, interface to the PLC (Modbus RTU) and away you go.
Have not had any real problems at all to be honest.

Just to be clear, when I'm talking about Square D switchgear, I'm meaning EUSERCS and main breaker panels and sub panels.