OT Tripping pump breaker

A crank megohmmeter is better, you are always assured you are putting out the right voltage. The other neat thing with the crank meters is that you can feel a short when you are cranking it. There will be some resistance in the crank if there is a short. If you don't mind changing out batteries a battery powered megohmmeter will work just fine, plus they are cheaper.

I have been using a B&K Precision #308 (battery powered) for 7 years, and it's never let me down, only the batteries have. It runs around $260.

The only bad thing about a battery megger is the batteries..especialy if you only use it evry once and a while..The next time you are on site you will go to test something and it will be as dead as a doornail..You go to change the batteries and find the batteries leeked everything is corroded and dosnt work worth a s**T with new batteries..Not that it happend to me before!!.

Agree that crank is expensive but if its taken care of and not kicked about to much it will be the last one you ever buy..My old boss had a crank and it must have been 25-30 years old..worked like charm every time..

Story:

Once new an older electriction with a heavy Russian accent. He asked me if I had an interrogator. What's an interrogator? As it turned out he was looking for a megger. Later I asked his side-kick where he got the term from. The side kick-told me that I didnt want to know.

With that comment I figured it out on my own....

With that comment I figured it out on my own....

Ouch!

Chicken or egg:

Did someone figure out that a megger might be useful in the process of extracting information from the uncooperative?

or

Did someone figure out that the interrogation tool might also be useful in evaluating the effectiveness of electrical insulation?