OT:What did/would you do?

First off, thanks to ALL for the replies.

Let me clarify a little bit on mysituation that night, management did not ask for me to stay, they were notified by phone that there was a issue and we were working on it. The next day I brought up the conversation with them and they were supportive of me if I would of called it a night after 14 hrs. Keep in mind that it was running at the time of our conversation, if I would of left it may have been a deferent conversation, they made a suggestion that I spend the night a local motel (reimbursed by them) if it happens again. I have a 1:15 min commute.

But in my thinking, I wanted to know what others such as yourselves would do in the similar situation, I guess that it’s a ego thing as well. 19 years ago when I started in this field I did not like the fact of having to ask others to come and repair something that I could not, then I made it my goal to be as diverse as possible. I can’t stand the fact that I would have to leave a piece of equipment down that would effect the whole plant.

Now on to the inability for the night shift to perform and do there job that they are compensated very well for. Their attitude is that if they can’t fix it "oh well, the two supper stars will get it". I have shown them lots of things and I enjoy sharing my experiences and knowledge with them, but I do insist that they must put-forth the effort at minimum to ask "show me". Eating pizza, taking breaks when you have others here working on your equipment, when they have been here for 16hrs +, I feel that they should have been watching if they wanted to learn then I would of taken the time to teach them.

That brings up the point of management not willing to step up to the plate and make people accountable for there own actions or lack of there of, I was ask to find qualified people to help we are expecting to get busy in the up and coming near future. Granted I know that management is slow some times, but I found two very qualified people (from this web site) that I feel would be a great benefit to this company they have not even called them and at min did a over the phone interview.

So that brings up the last point sometimes you have to force the issue, the next time I'm here for 18hrs and leave with something down with no support to pass it off to, they may get off their butt’s and get some help, I just don’t like to be like that it’s not in my nature.

There were a couple of comments that alluded to the money thing, the OT money did not play a factor and I get enough. It was a principle thing

Steve Bailey said:
For each of us, the reality of our situation probably lies somewhere between the extremes. The challenge is to balance justifiable pride in being able to do a difficult job under stressful conditions against the hubris that whispers in your ear "There's nobody else who can do what you do".

Steve: Thats what I was looking for the justifiable balance, sometimes it's elusive. You can just try and do what you think is correct. Or move to Belgium

I think I will take some of the suggestions that was to have others do the work, 2 fold advantage, they get the experience and I get to rest.

Once again Thanks

TimothyMoulder said:
The instructor smiles and says, "All wrong. You call him 'inefficient'. If you can't do your job in a regular shift, working a regular week, with a few rare exceptions, then you are not doing your job right."
TM

Tim,

I love this one. It is so true.

I cannot tell you what to do about this type of situation. I can add something that maybe no one has pointed out. In NJ they apparently have a new law, that I just myself became aware of. It has something to do with drowsy driving. If for example someone gets behind the wheel when they are physically incapable of driving, for example due to an extremely long shift and they try to drive home and during this drive are involved in an auto accident and someone is killed. They could face 10 years in prison and $100,000.00 fine. This is just the penalty for drowsy driving. Then there is the probable lawsuit for the rest of the usual reasons. Just an FYI to anyone concerned, hey I'm no lawyer but that tells me to use good judgement in a situation like this, if the room is offered hey I'd take the company up on it. I personally wouldn't worry so much about people losing a few hours at work when someone may lose their life, in the balance it just isn't worth it. I remember a long time ago a family member was hit by a driver and they were seriously injured, broken back, car was totaled, their career was essentially ended, it was tragic. One of the very first things obtained from the drivers Employer for the lawsuit was their timecard at work, oh and it had better be accurate as it was material to the case. The driver at fault did lose the suit, he was apparently driving a company van, in a hurry and on overtime, it all came out in court.

I've had a few days where I had to work long shifts, but in general anyone's productivity goes down after 10 hours or so. Unless you are digging a ditch or something, it's just not possible to stay focused.

And these plants who have critical 24/7 processes that don't maintain proper 24/7 support staff? That's BS. As someone mentioned, all it would take is for the 1st shifters to go home as scheduled a few times, and the off shifts would come up to speed in a hurry. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished under duress.

Of course, if there was a case where I was the only one around that could get a machine going again, then I would stay all night if needed. That goes without saying. But whether we are talking about a production environment or a new machine start-up, if that happens more than once in a blue moon, then someone is not preparing for the task at hand very well.

I am sure most of you who live in the northern states remember the ice storm we had. I was working for almost 2 days straight before i got a break.. The break was 20 mins while a gen set ran to get water for cattle and some air changes in a barn..i slept upright in van and then went on to do another 12 hours or so..after that time i was a basket case..Thank god i was the only truck on the roads in my area (Aside from fire/police) and i was only going about 10 kmh..I went home and crawled into bed..The phone rang 1 hour later..it woke me up..but i felt like i had slept a week..It was one of the most refreshing sleeps i have ever had..

My point is..sometimes even a small amount of sleep or "down time" is a major benifit..And point #2..I think most of here agree that if the chips are down we will do what we can to make things right..

As for that hair raising 2 weeks i just wish i had a video camera strapped to the dash of my truck..I saw things you could not believe i also saw the most beautiful scenery you could ever imagine.. The other thing i saw was multiple communities pulling together and helping each other out, That was one of the best things i think i have ever seen. Its a shame people only do that when disaster strikes..

D

The consensus here is that after 14 odd hours your usefulness drops and you become a hazard to everyone around you. If you do long hours (>12hrs /day) for more than 3-4 days on the trot it becomes accumulative as well.

Your employer is absolutely liable for getting this right. And you are responsible for not letting yourself get put into that position.

Having said that, life is not all bunches of roses, and sometimes the rules get bent. When that happens Darren's comments about short "power naps" is a very good one. Once you start hitting the wall, then every 2-4 hours, take a 20min nap. Find someplace where you will not get disturbed, lie down with a small pillow, put your earmuffs on, cover your eyes, and tell yourself to wake up in 20 min. No longer. Falling right asleep for longer will be counterproductive.

It works extremely well. I've gotten through some very torrid sessions using this method. Trouble is that there are too many employers and bosses about who still live in the dark ages and see the practice as goofing off. Last time that **** got dealt to me...I just never bothered asking them for another job.

PhilipW said:
Trouble is that there are too many employers and bosses about who still live in the dark ages and see the practice as goofing off.

Any boss who figured someone was goofing off for taking a "power Nap" after more than 12 hours is a moron..One question to him would be "How long have you been here??"

D

I have been in situations in the past where I have had to stay on at work or been phoned up in the middle of the night to get a bit of kit back up and running, when this happens I usually tell management to put someone with me and tell the person put with me to bring his notepad with him. That way, I am not the 'only person' who can fix the bit of kit. Someone else has had a bit of 'on the job training'.

Having said that, I totally agree with what S7Guy wrote.....

S7Guy said:
Of course, if there was a case where I was the only one around that could get a machine going again, then I would stay all night if needed. That goes without saying. But whether we are talking about a production environment or a new machine start-up, if that happens more than once in a blue moon, then someone is not preparing for the task at hand very well.
There are times when it's nice to be 'the only person who can fix it', usually just before my yearly appraisal! ;)

Paul

Ot::

Everybody likes the OT. And I think we all like to be the one(s) who can get the thing running, when no one else can. But I can't help but feel like everybody here is missing the big picture. Genius did mention what I feel is the biggest issue. MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!. Not having qualified people on staff to handle problems with what are most likely very expensive machines is just plain incompetence! Where was management when these things happen? Home I bet. I'm sure they think to themselves "why worry? Ive got genius (and pal) on the job. They'll handle it". I've seen and lived this scenario too often. Train the other guys or get someone who can do it. Do I sound bitter???

Having said that, life is not all bunches of roses, and sometimes the rules get bent. When that happens Darren's comments about short "power naps" is a very good one. Once you start hitting the wall, then every 2-4 hours, take a 20min nap. Find someplace where you will not get disturbed, lie down with a small pillow, put your earmuffs on, cover your eyes, and tell yourself to wake up in 20 min. No longer.

I agree here. I used to do this when lifting weights. You can recover a great deal of physical strength without losing alertness, and 20 minutes was the average ideal amount of nap time prescribed by pro bodybuilders.

PLCRookie said:
...MANAGEMENT!!!!!!!!. Not having qualified people on staff to handle problems with what are most likely very expensive machines is just plain incompetence! Where was management when these things happen? Home I bet. I'm sure they think to themselves "why worry? Ive got genius (and pal) on the job. They'll handle it"....

No Rookie, that's called economics. How often do these sutations occur? And...How much would it cost to have a fully qualified staff on each shift vs the cost of overtime for those few situations?

Good management delegates and lets thoes on the floor or in the field make decisions based on the current at hand situation. Good management also accepts the responsabiliy for the consequenses of those decisions, be they good or bad. In this case the man on the floor made the proper decision. That's good management.

When the Allies landed in Normandy, all the top Axis decision makers were snug in bed, and their men in the field just stood by and waited for orders directly from the top rather then taking action. Why? Becase that's what they were trained to do. What otherwise should have been a Allied slaghgter became a fortunate Axis rout only because of bad management on the part of the Axis, (the result of micro-management).

I grew up in the amusement business; carnival. It is outdoors, seasonal and for many does not pay well so it is hard to get and keep "capable" help.

The last show I was with (12 years) had a very long season with many fair dates that opened in the AM and closed in the AM..ie open 10 in the morning and close after midnight, midnight madness till 2, 3 or 4 AM depending. In most cases we would tear-down on Saturday (after working all day) and move (drive to next location) on Sunday THEN start setting up again, so the weekends would be very long hrs.

The "BOSS" (owner) would raise cain if someone was caught sleeping during working hours but I was a into photography and collected a few shots of him taking power naps, so everytime he started saying something I would show him the photos, eventually because of our hours I got him to start letting the guys rotate around to get naps on teardown days so they would not be too tired. One of the most compelling reasons I got to do this was because one of our drivers fell asleep and ran off the road, died instantly.

All companies will have certain people that are more capable then others but if those "more capable" do not step away at times then the others will not learn...even when doing the work if you are the "brain" they may not see what you see nor understand your "thinking". Each situation is different but I can say the more of those long hours/days you do your body will get its revenge.