OT:What did/would you do?

geniusintraining said:

Now on to the inability for the night shift to perform and do there job that they are compensated very well for. Their attitude is that if they can’t fix it "oh well, the two supper stars will get it". I have shown them lots of things and I enjoy sharing my experiences and knowledge with them, but I do insist that they must put-forth the effort at minimum to ask "show me". Eating pizza, taking breaks when you have others here working on your equipment, when they have been here for 16hrs +, I feel that they should have been watching if they wanted to learn then I would of taken the time to teach them.

That brings up the point of management not willing to step up to the plate and make people accountable for there own actions or lack of there of, I was ask to find qualified people to help we are expecting to get busy in the up and coming near future. Granted I know that management is slow some times, but I found two very qualified people (from this web site) that I feel would be a great benefit to this company they have not even called them and at min did a over the phone interview.

Thats All Im saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

while management is the likely culprit,I think genius pointed out the more probable answer. There is a lack of talented maintenance, expecially electrical troubleshooters. This seems to be the norm in every city. This is way more prevalent in the southeast, where the good ol' boy network used to run things, and most companies still use Bubba logic. There is certainly a lack of trained, qualified electricians in this area, and the major trainer of professional craftsmen is a bad word in the south...the union.
Tech schools train 'maintenance' people, but not troubleshooters. Skills needed to troubleshoot electrical circuitry doesn't come from a classroom or textbook, but from hands-on experience & an understanding of the basic principle of controls...Electricity will only do 3 things: 1.Make 2.Break 3.Energize.

stasis said:
and the major trainer of professional craftsmen is a bad word in the south...the union.

Thats a bad word no matter where you live..please dont get me started on this..!!!

stasis said:
Tech schools train 'maintenance' people, but not troubleshooters. .

Tech schools dont train anyone..all they do is ask people to memeorise stuff..If you have a good memory you are o.k...it dosnt matter if you can do the work..just remember the formulas or the defintions..Trades people teach people

And why does every one like to blame Management?? As mike said..Managment makes use of the people they have..Most Managers dont have the athority to hire new people..They can ask for new people but....

darrenj said:
And why does every one like to blame Management?? As mike said..Managment makes use of the people they have..Most Managers dont have the athority to hire new people..They can ask for new people but....

this is the point I was shooting for...management makes use of the people they have. We all know how hard it is to make chicken salad from chicken $hit, but we've all been forced to try it because management sees training as a burden to the budget. I can't count the number of times I was called in last year, and nothing was said about me making more $$ than the maintenance supervisior. But every time I bring up the issue of training 2nd or 3rd shift, I get the 'it's not in the budget' song & dance.

However, I also realize that management, to a certain rung on the corporate ladder, have their hands tied. I think this is more of a prioritizing issue than a planning issue...who plans for a machine to conk out at 3AM on a Saturday? But, those that were prepared by having trained people on staff don't spend big $$ to get the machine back into production.

It seems that there are a lot of companies that are trending towards 1 or 2 "key" maintenance staff then having the rest hmmm.. "Not so key" (for lack of better words), its easy to put the blame on anyone it’s a catch 22, the company needs to make a profit and product bottom line, so I guess it is a management call, but on the other hand its our call when it comes to a 18hr day.

As Mike said... "economics" ours and theirs

My manager is currently making a huge deal out of training to bring our off-shift folks up to a decent level of competence.

I keep telling him, all too many of the guys use the 'training' excuse as a way to avoid accountability. If they wanted to learn, they wouldn't still be entry level techs after 5 years with the company. I understand he's trying to take away that excuse so they can't hide behind it, but it frustrates me to no end that I have to put so much of myself into training a bunch of people who don't want to learn.