panel view 300 communication problem with pc

vikas1947

i have a panel view 300 whos cat no. is 2711-k3a5l1 i am using comm'' cable 2711-nc13(rs232)cable when i connect it to pc and pv 300 after that i go to rslinx - configure driver- rs232 df1 device - select com port -at device slc ch0/micro/panelview
then i click on auto configure but it doesnt complete auto configure my rslinx version is 2.55

That's because your PV supports DH485 protocol.

If your PC has a real serial port you can use the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

If you don't have a real serial port then you will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter).

Or a memory card to upload/download it's program.

PV300Protocol.png

There can also be some other program accessing your serial port check whether another rslinx file in process at task manager if so end it and start again. what error message you get ? Try to disable your serial port restart and then try communicating by enabling your serial port

There can also be some other program accessing your serial port check whether another rslinx file in process at task manager if so end it and start again. what error message you get ? Try to disable your serial port restart and then try communicating by enabling your serial port

The OP is not going to communicate with a DH485 PV with the DF1 driver unless the OP has a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter).

Last edited:
thanks

thanks mikey i just selected that driver in rslinx now it is showing in rslinx thank you to all for ur efforts

problem with communicating micrologix 1200

now i am not able to communicate with my micrologix 1200 its showing no node in network i am using pm 02 cable to communicate it with micrologix is it correct or i am doing any thing wrong

How is the port on the ML1200 configured?

What driver are you using in RSlinx to communicate with the ML1200.

re

my micrologix have din (o port) i am using pm o2 cable ,i changed the port for dh485 by going into channel configuration in rs linx i am using 1747 pic/aic driver

If you want to reset channel 0 to default DF1 use the comm reset button under the door to the right of the port. But you are using DH485 so it's not what you need.

p.s. this is in reply to your new thread to pull topic back in here.

Last edited:
RS-232 (DF1 or DH485) PanelView Terminals -
1.To connect a PanelView RS-232/DF1 or DH485 communication port to a RS-232 port on a controller,
use a 2706-NC13, 2711-NC13, or 2711-NC14 cable.
2.To connect a PanelView RS-232/DF1 or DH485 communication port to the 8-pin RS-232 port on the MicroLogix 1000/1200/1400/1500 controller,
use a 2711-NC21 or -NC22 cable.

The first option cables can connect a DH485 PV with a DB9 port to a DB9 port on a PLC or a DB9 port on a PC.
The second option cables can connect a DH485 PV to an 8pin mini-din port on a PLC.
This can also connect a PLC 8pin mini-din port to a DB9 port on a PC to upload/download to PLC.
In all cases involving the PV to PLC ports, the PLC ports must be configured for DH485.
You have a 2711-NC13, but do you have 2711-NC21 or -NC22?
If not, and you only have the "PM02" cable, you have to use a converter such as the PIC (older), NET-AIC+ or UIC. The UIC connects to your PC's USB port.

my micrologix have din (o port) i am using pm o2 cable ,i changed the port for dh485 by going into channel configuration in rs linx i am using 1747 pic/aic driver

I'm a little confused, are you having trouble getting your ML1200 to communicate with the PV?

If so follow Geospark's post. The 2711- NC13 is a straight thru cable between the PLC and PV. The PM02 cable is for your PC to PLC for programming. Remember the baud rate must be the same and the node addresses must be different. It may help us help you if you can post the PV's and the PLC's programs. Zip them first.

Last edited:
Lets recap before we all get confused here...

Usually an OP will state that they are trying to setup a localised network between DeviceA and DeviceB etc. This wasn't done here. A simple question was asked and solved:

Q1: How to get the DH485 PV300 connected to the PC using the 2711-NC13 cable, making it visible in RSLinx?
Problem: the wrong driver was selected in RSLinx.
Solution: the correct driver was selected.

Then a second question arose:

Q2: How to get the PC connected to the ML1200 using a PM02 cable.

So to connect the PC serial port to the ML1200 port 0 and get it visible in RSLinx. This is a DB9 - 8pin mini-din connection. You are using the "pm 02" cable, 1761-CBL-PM02 I assume?
This will connect the PC serial port to the 8pin mini-din port 0 on the ML1200. So your connection is ok.

Now to sort the protocol:
You state that you "changed the port for dh485 by going into channel configuration in rs linx i am using 1747 pic/aic driver"

This is the change you made in RSLinx to fix problem 1 earlier with connecting to the PV300 using DH485. This is not changing the ML1200 port 0 to DH485, merely the driver RSLinx is using to communicate, i.e. your PC.

The ML1200 port 0 is most likely set DF1 default. You can check this quickly by seeing if the DCOMM led is lit on the front of the ML1200. If not, use the reset pdf I linked earlier to do so.

You possibly have only one driver setup in RSLinx that your using to solve both these problems. You have changed that RSLinx driver away from "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" to "1747-PIC/AIC" while solving problem 1 above. Hence the reason the ML1200 will not show up in RSLinx. If port 0 is set DF1, and you change this driver in RSLinx back to "SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView" and autobrowse again it should show up, while connecting tru the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable.

Again make sure your baud rate and framing are correct both ends. On the PC, make sure that not only RSLinx baud rate etc match the defaults of port 0, but the COM1 settings of the PC in Device Manager, Ports, also matches.

The defaults for port 0 on the ML1200 are:

baud Rate: 19,200K
Parity: none
Source ID (Node Address): 1 <<< ignore
Control Line: no handshaking <<< ignore
Stop Bits: 1

You will not be able to communicate between the PC and ML1200 using DH485 and the 1761-CBL-PM02 unless you use an AIC+ or UIC interface converter.

Last edited: