Panel view 600 trouble

Hi Everyone,
I am new to the site and to plc programing. Always been the guy trouble shooting around them.
I have a Panelview 600 2711-b6c8 series c frn4.46. DH+ and rs232 ports.

I can't connect to the panelview with the laptop, so I went to the configuration screen to see if it's set to printer. Once in there I can only change the language screen. It's like the other buttons are protected. Is this possible, and can you get around this somehow? I haven't been able to find any referances to this problem only ones to not being able to get to the configuration screen at all. Also should have said printer setup button won't let me in to check if printer is disabled.

Last edited:
Here's a possibility from the manual:
Configuration parameters are set from the terminal or from the PanelBuilder32 software when creating the application. Settings downloaded with the application have priority over terminal settings if the following option is enabled in the Terminal Setup dialog of the PanelBuilder32 software.

- Use Downloaded configuration settings

(emphasis added)

I've never used this setting, so I can't say whether it would show the symptoms you have, but it sounds like it might.

What version of Linx do you have installed? Later versions stop panelbuilder32 from doing direct connections. I can’t remember the version numbers off the top of my head.

We have later version of linx installed and just use memory cards to transfer application between pc and Panelview.

Andy

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Let's not overlook the most common problem when connecting to a PanelView Standard over RS-232: the port pinout. It's a "DCE" type port, so you need a straight-through RS-232 serial cable to connect to your PC.

The common RS-232 cables you use to connect to SLC-500 and ControlLogix are "null modem" cables that swap the Rx/Tx and handshaking pins.

For a version 4.x terminal, you will generally just use ordinary RSLinx Lite for the communications driver, rather than trying to use PanelBuilder's old legacy built-in serial driver.

The DH+ equipped terminals did allow you to select DF1 or printer mode, but they were not printer-mode-only like some of the old DH-485 terminals that had an extra serial port.

Thanks for the replies. When I get in Monday I will answer your questions, plus see if I can find another panelview that doesn't act like it's locked and see if I can connect.
See you then!

Ok, I have an usb to rs232 adapter from plccables. I am in the process of confirming I have the right cable from them.
I have rslinx classic lite 2.54 and panelbuilder32 version 03.83.01.
I found another panel view 600 2711-b6c8 series c frn4.46. This one lets mein the printer setup screen.
In Rslinx , I use rs-232DF1 devices - select SLC-CHO/Micro/panelView.
Then auto configure which tells me, failed to find baud and parity. Check all cables and switch settings.
So I am thinking start by finding a serial cable?