Panel View Plus 1000 Activation

cjjeeper

I have a customer who has multiple PV Plus 1000's. These run Firmware 5.1 and Window CE.

I need the serial numbers off of the software that is installed on the PV.....however, I cannot find anywhere any information on how to access that.

From what I have found, the PV came licensed installed. The customer probably got the "red letter" with the serial number but that is long gone.

I called support and they are not sure where to find the existing serial number either.

So I am asking (just to clarify) if anyone knows how to find the installed software serial from the PV interface? I cannot even get out of ME Staton on the PV. It is the only thing that runs apparently.

Any help is appreciated.

If this were a Windows desktop installation, the serial number would be part of the *.LIC activation file.

But it's not. To my knowledge, FactoryTalk View ME and Linx Enterprise activate themselves on the PV+ by examining some files in a hidden partition on the CF card. I've never had to go looking for them myself, because I've never had an activation problem with FTView ME on the PV+ hardware.

There's definitely no serial number "red letter" or sticker with a FactoryTalk serial number or activation key, even though the older terminals did come with a Windows CE license number on a hologram sticker.

Why do you need these serial numbers ?

If this were a Windows desktop installation, the serial number would be part of the *.LIC activation file.

But it's not. To my knowledge, FactoryTalk View ME and Linx Enterprise activate themselves on the PV+ by examining some files in a hidden partition on the CF card. I've never had to go looking for them myself, because I've never had an activation problem with FTView ME on the PV+ hardware.

There's definitely no serial number "red letter" or sticker with a FactoryTalk serial number or activation key, even though the older terminals did come with a Windows CE license number on a hologram sticker.

Why do you need these serial numbers ?

I am replacing/upgrading the PVs and need to "move" the installed license to the new HMI (FTView ME 12.0). RW will move it but wants/requires the serial number.

There are no transferrable FactortyTalk activations or licenses involved in PanelView Plus hardware.

If you are running FactoryTalk View ME 12 on Windows PCs that aren't PanelView Plus terminals, and Rockwell wants to credit the old terminals against that purchase somehow, that's a commercial concession you need to arrange through your local sales office.

If you have someone at Rockwell Automation Tech Support asking for serial numbers from old PanelViews, they probably don't understand the issue.

Each PanelView has its own baked-in license unique to that terminal. It cannot be transferred. If you buy a new PanelView, it will already have its own license. There is no activation necessary for these terminals. There is nothing to move.

As Ken mentions, if you are getting rid of the physical PanelView hardware and moving to running FT View on a Windows PC, and you are getting credit for the PV hardware, then that is a commercial issue with you and the local Rockwell office. They would probably want the physical hardware. I've never heard of that being done, but perhaps it has. Now that I think about it I do remember seeing a bunch of old customer PV units in our office years ago.

OG