Panel view Plus time sync with COntrol logix plc

In Rsview Open Global Connections Tab under System
Enter PLC Tag for Remote Year,Month,Day Of Month, Hour,Minute,and second.
Enter PLC tag for Remote Date and Time.
When Remote Date and Time tag in PLC transitions from zero to non-zero value the Panelview will update it's internal clock based on the PLC tag values.

How do you make the Remote Date and Time tag in PLC transition from zero to non-zero??? I have Controllogix with Panelview Plus 1000. I did everything in your description but don't know how to make the Remote Date and Time tag go high!!!

arpauto,

This procedure will work the same way in FTView as in RSView. There's very little difference between the software packages in any case.

You can set the Remote Date and Time tag to go high at pre-determined intervals, say once a day, in the PLC, to keep the PV+ clock updated. Or you can have a button on the PV+ set that bit, or both. You can also have the PV+ write its time values to the PLC continuously, or you can have a runtime display on the PV+ that allows an operator to change the date and time as individual values that write to the PLC. This is my personal favorite method, but different strokes for different folks.

See this thread for more info on the subject.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more help to get going.

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻
How do you make the Remote Date and Time tag in PLC transition from zero to non-zero??? I have Controllogix with Panelview Plus 1000. I don't know how to make the Remote Date and Time tag go high!!!

How do you make the Remote Date and Time in PLC transition from zero to non-zero??? I have Controllogix with Panelview Plus 1000. I don't know how to make the Remote Date and Time tag go high!!!

Oh no!!! What will you do???
Seriously, do you have a tag assigned to Remote Date and Time in Global Connections?
If so, you are halfway there. Once you have the tag assigned, you would make it go high with PLC logic, same as you would any tag.
If you follow the link that I posted in the post you quoted, there is an example program (in pdf) for Logix 500 on how to trigger the Remote Date and Time tag. I know you are using Logix 5000, but the same logic can be applied.
Alternately, you can have the bit set high not off of user interaction, but off of an examination of PLC system time. For example, at my plant, we shift change at 6AM and PM. So I have a routine where I execute a GSV of WallClockTime into an array of 7 DINTs, DateTime[7].
DateTime[3] is the hours, so when DateTime[3] = 6 or 18, then I one-shot latch the Remote Date and Time bit. I leave that bit latched for 10 seconds then OTU it.

For the duration of that on-time, the values in DateTime[0-5] (which are assigned to Remote Year, Month, Day, Hour, Minute, and Second, respectively) are moved into the PV+ system time, keeping it synced to the PLC clock.

Good luck and HTH

Cheers,
Dustin

🍻

Yes, I have a "Remote Date and Time" tag in Global Connection in RSView Studio. I changed everything as you instructed as follows: "In RsView Open Global Connections Tab under System Enter PLC Tag for Remote Year,Month,Day Of Month, Hour,Minute,and second.
Enter PLC tag for Remote Date and Time."

Now your next step is to make the "Remote Date and Time Tag go high." That is what I am havig trouble with. Your example logic appears to be Logix500 with an SLC5/04 or some other PLC. I have a Controllogix with Logix5000. Your PV+ Remote Date/Time Update Tag is B3:20. As you may or may not know, Logix5000 does not use status bits anymore. So where do I find this Remote Date/Time Update Tag in Logix5000? It was listed right there in Global Connections in RSView Studio right there where you said it would be, but I don't see it anywhere in Logix5000.

Yes, I have a "Remote Date and Time" tag in Global Connection in RSView Studio. I changed everything as you instructed as follows: "In RsView Open Global Connections Tab under System Enter PLC Tag for Remote Year,Month,Day Of Month, Hour,Minute,and second.

Now your next step is to make the "Remote Date and Time Tag go high." That is what I am havig trouble with. Your example logic appears to be Logix500 with an SLC5/04 or some other PLC. I have a Controllogix with Logix5000. Your PV+ Remote Date/Time Update Tag is B3:20. As you may or may not know, Logix5000 does not use status bits anymore. So where do I find this Remote Date/Time Update Tag in Logix5000? It was listed right there in Global Connections in RSView Studio right there where you said it would be, but I don't see it anywhere in Logix5000.

Use the GSV instruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now your next step is to make the "Remote Date and Time Tag go high." That is what I am havig trouble with. Your example logic appears to be Logix500 withSLC5/04 or some other PLC. I have a Controllogix with Logix5000. Your PV+ Remote Date/Time Update Tag is B3:20. As you may or may not know, Logix5000 does not use status bits anymore. So where do I find this Remote Date/Time Update Tag in Logix5000? It was listed right there in Global Connections in RSView Studio right there where you said it would be, but I don't see it anywhere in Logix5000.

Ok I really don't understand what you are having trouble with here.
You need to create a tag in your Controllogix PLC, call it PV_Clock_Update (BOOL).
You need to assign this tag to Remote Date/Time in Global Connections.
Then, IN THE PLC!!, you need to turn this bit on. You must decide what event or time will trigger this. Now, when your Panelview Plus 1000 sees this tag go high (which your PLC has caused to transition) it will write the tag values from the tags you have assigned to Remote Year, Month, etc into the PV+ system clock. It will do this for the entire time that the Remote Date/Time tag (PV_Clock_Update in the PLC!!!) is high (non-zero), so you need to turn the bit back off after a specified interval

Are we starting to click here yet?

Oh yeah, and thanks for the tip on the fundamental differences between the RSlogix 500 and 5000 software...