panel viw plus firmware upgrade

RY_Guthrie

I am trying to upgrade the firm ware on my panel view plus 1250. I am doing this as I bought a new screen and installed a new logic module on it and it is giving me the no touch symbol and flashes the fault light. That indicates you need to upgrade firm ware. So I tried using the factory talk firmware upgrade tool and it said it downloaded but now it says I have to do it again using either Ethernet or serial (only thing on the screen is that choice) status box says FTU server running waiting on client connections. The model panel view is a 2711-rdt12c ser. D and the logic module is a 2711-rp1 ser.G. This is the second logic module I have tried, first would never respond after I tried loading the firm ware updates. I am at a loss on what to do next? Any thoughts?

Anytime I need to flash a panelview+, I have had to manually delete any applications on it. Preferably you have a current backup. Flashed the unit, createc a runtime with correct version and downloaded. You will need to correct communicatins links also.

Just for clarification, your part numbers are most likely 2711P

I haven't dealt with replacing pieces of the PanelView, but I wonder if your older logic module is not compatible with your newer screen? I may be crazy on this but when I look up your display it's listed under PV+6 hardware and your logic module is the pre-PV+6 hardware.

If I'm not mistaken on the logic module you have, it can be upgraded to a maximum of V5.1. Now maybe the display doesn't really care what logic module you are plugging it into and the problem is that you are trying to use too new of firmware for your logic module.

You might have to go directly to RA Tech Support to get definitive answers on compatibility.

2711P-RP1 is definitely a pre-V6 logic module. Series G is relatively modern, and probably originally shipped with 5.0 or 5.1 firmware. The sticker on the back should tell you.

The Logic Module should not allow you to even attempt to load v6, v7, or v8 firmware onto it.

Very early PanelView Plus terminals had a 5-wire interface between the Logic Module and the touchscreen. Series B (with one exception, the Series B Rev A 12") and later Display Modules use the modern 8-wire interface.

Your Series D display module and your Series G Logic Module should in theory work together, though of course the "Hand" error indicator suggests that the touchscreen isn't working.

Did you buy these modules from an authorized A-B distributor ? They should be able to help you be certain that the devices are compatible and provide you with a warranty replacement if they are defective.

To also confirm...

Your 2711P-RDT12C is a newer PanelView Plus 6 1250 touch display module.
Your 2711P-RP1 is an older PanelView Plus logic module.

Can they be used together, or not?

Well, I have found conflicting or unclear info on the matter...

The Knowledgebase says you can use an older PanelView Plus logic module with a newer PanelView Plus 6 display module, but not in every case...

720496 - PanelView Plus: Using the old PanelView Plus logic module with a new PanelView Plus 6 Display module
Access Level: TechConnect

Yet, the list they provide of PanelView Plus logic modules, that you cannot use with PanelView Plus 6 display modules, appears to include all the logic modules available for the PanelView Plus terminals, as per Page 4 of publication 2711P-IN004J-EN-P - September 2009.

This list of incompatible logic modules is also marked "IMPORTANT" on Page 9 of the conversion publication 2711P-AP003D-EN-P - March 2015.

So, how is it possible if none of the available older logic modules are compatible with the newer display modules? What they are saying in the Technote does not make much sense?

The only one that I am a bit iffy on, from that list, is actually the one you are using; the 2711P-RP1 logic module. They say that any 2711P-RP1x logic module is not compatible with a PanelView Plus 6 display module, but does this include the 2711P-RP1 logic module, or does it only refer to the 2711P-RP1A and 2711P-RP1D, as denoted by the x i.e. 2711P-RP1x?

Not clear at all.

Why say they are compatible with exception, and then list all, or just about all of them as incompatible? If the 2711P-RP1 does turn out to be compatible, and the only one at that, then would it not be better to state that they are not compatible with the exception of that one logic module?

I would definitely seek further clarification on this.

Some further info on the displays with regard to the older 5-wire touch displays which cannot be used with the newer PanelView Plus 6 logic modules. 8-wire touch display modules must be used. This is more relevant when you are going the other way i.e. using an older PanelView Plus display module with a newer PanelView Plus 6 logic module...

115612 - Unsupported display modules for the PanelView Plus 6 logic module
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George