PanelBuilder Installation / PC Issues

Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

No, the "program not responding" does not happen EVERY time. As a matter of fact, after your question yesterday, I have paid attention to that particularly. What I found was that the only time it has given me that message was after I tried installing the software while in the Safe Mode. The only thing it told me was that "Sample" was not responding, I don't think I've ever seen "Sample" before.

I did try installing "InView," just to see if I had any issues (thinking they might be similar type of installations) and had no problems.

Try this in two scenarios. It may work and it may not, but is worth a try. I had a problem installing a different piece software and ran into the Sample program not responding. Just on a side note, do you have an Intel Wireless card in your PC?

The two scenarios are:

Try it first on a clean boot.

Then try it after the installation fails.

• Wait until the computer is fully booted or the installation has failed completely and is not doing anything
  • Open up Microsoft Word or something similar and scribble anything in it. DO NOT SAVE THE DOCUMENT
  • Do the start menu style shutdown and select turn off the computer.
  • As it shuts down, Word will ask you if you want to save to document. Ignore this prompt and don’t click anything on it.
  • In 30 seconds or so, two program not responding prompts will appear. One for Word and one for Sample.
  • Click End Now on the Sample dialog.
  • Click Cancel on the Word Dialog
  • This will end the Sample task but cancels the shutdown. There are actually two services it is ending, you could go to the task manager and end them instead of doing all of this if I could remember the names of the services.
  • Now try installing it.

Do you have a service that starts with curtain in your task manager? What antivirus do you use? I am trying to jog my brain

I’m running out of ideas for you. Personally I hate computers.

This may not be an option, but if you have any other pc's around that you can use, I'd try to load 3.82 on it just to get something running. If that's not an option, I'd try wiping the hard drive clean, and reinstalling windows. Sometimes registry files can get corrupted, who knows. Before all of this though, I'd check on the hotfix that was mentioned earlier. At this point though, your guess is as good as anyone's.

Russ

I, for reasons unknown, did not see your reply yesterday. I was in conversation with AB tech support and working on other projects. One thing I did was to purchase a Registry Cleaner software and cleaned my registry up. Still, I could not install the software.

Earlier today, I decided to check back with this message board, saw your suggestion and printed it out. Okay, so then I watched some basketball, played with my boys, and watched a family movie! Finally, I decided to reboot the computer and try your suggestion. Well, guess what? It didn't work quite like you said. BUT IT DID WORK!!! When I tried to shutdown, I only got one "end task" message for Word, I didn't a second one. I waited and waited and waited. But I just cancelled the Word "end task" and tried to install the software. WITH SUCCESS!!

I really don't know how to thank you. I appreciate you sticking with me on this "opportunity." I guess you realize that your solution is a bit, or rather, hmmmm how can I say this .... unorthodox????? LOL!!! I have no idea how or why it worked, but am certainly glad it did. How in the world did you EVER figure this out?

Thank you, once again. You have been a life saver!

Don't ask how I figured it out, but a few questions.

What operating system are you running?
What antivirus software is on it?
Do you have an Intel wireless card in it?
Do you have a service in the task manager that starts with "Curtain"?

Windows 2000 SP4
Norton Internet Security
Intel Wireless Card
No service called "Curtain"

I just got back from a new customer and got to use my PanelBuilder software, thanks to you! He had a faulted PLC 5/40. But while I was there, I saved his PLC and PanelView files so I could save them on our server at the office.

Thanks once again. Do you mind if I pass this "solution" off to AB?

I am not HMI/Panelview expert, you guys probably know much more, but try this - it always helps me with installations:

- Check if MSIxxx.xxx running - stop it if it does
- Go to TEMP folder and delete all files - ALL are junk, don't worry. To get to your TEMP folder use: Start->RUN->type %TEMP% and click "OPEN"

Look at THIS link. Think you need to contact Intel Wireless support. It just happened to be a problem when you were installing Panelbuilder. You will probably run across it with installations other than Rockwells. Let us know what you find out if you contact them.

My Norton is up-to-date. I will look into that link further. I do have anti-spyware running, as well.

Thanks again for your assistance. I will be forever in your debt.

TWControls said:
Don't ask how I figured it out,

I Just have to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am all for "Testing" and trying realy off the wall things when things are not going well but this one..it takes the cake!! Please explain!!! :)