Panelbuilder32 1400E To CLX

Donald.Blake

I am attempting to mix old with new. I have a 1400e HMI that is communicating to a plc5 via DH+. I need to set the HMI up to read some of its values from a 1756-L73 processor as well as continue reading some from the plc5. My thoughts are to just add a DH+ card to my clx, drop it on the network and map the tags in L73.

My current attempt has failed. I have my address of 1400e as 15, my plc5 address is 02, and my CLX DH+ card is 46.

I have my nodes setup in 1400e as plc5 enhanced with address 02, then clx is setup as plc5 enhanced as address 46. I have also tried setting my clx as logix 55xx with no luck.

The plc5 communicates fine. My clx mapping is setup as 24 file number - to "clx tag". I seem to have some incorrect setup somewhere but can't identify my issue. The 1400e shows an error when running application of "Remote station does not match the configured plc". Any thoughts?

Edit: I didn't fully read the post.., you already understood mapping.

Edit2: You might need to MSG the data to the PLC5 that it is already talking to. Then have the PanelView read the data files from the PLC5 that the CLX messages to.

Last edited:
Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

Is your 1756-DHRIO configured for the correct ControlLogix slot ?

When a 1756-DHRIO receives a local DH+ message with no DH+ bridge/link information (typical for an old HMI) then it sends it on the 1756 backplane to a CPU at the default slot number.

Of course that's Slot 0 out of the box, but that value is stored in NVRAM in the 1756-DHRIO; it doesn't get it from a ControlLogix, and it will keep the value indefinitely. If you took that 1756-DHRIO from being in service elsewhere, definitely reset it to defaults.

>Remote station does not match the configured plc

That certainly suggests that the PanelView 1400E is doing some basic identity checking, or maybe that it's getting an "unsupported command" reply from the Logix.

Be sure that you're only mapping to an INT or REAL array tag, of course. The mapping feature doesn't support any other ControlLogix datatypes.

Have you tried configuring the PanelView 1400e comms target as though it was an SLC-5/04 ? The ControlLogix and DHRIO should handle any PLC-5 Typed Read/Write or SLC-500 Typed Read/Write command over DH+, but I suppose it's possible that PanelView 1400E uses something that's PLC-5 specific.

That error message does show up in the Knowledgebase, and the simple answer is "be sure the data file exists in the PLC". Double-check all your syntax and data table sizes; I've definitely been bitten by the "a 100-word data file is only addressed 0-99" memory address offset.

Also be sure the ControlLogix tags aren't set for Read Only.

If you have v5 firmware in that terminal, it *should* be able to address the Logix tags without even using PLC-5 mapping. But it's been obsolete for so long that I doubt Rockwell even tested it with 1756-L7 controllers.

I did make sure to use a v5.xx firmware as stated by a tech note I found. I did make sure to verify the alignment of the data tables as well. I found an example where someone was able to get a L61 to work. I have yet to find an example with a L7 series. Rockwell did say it should work.

I tried using the logix55xx setting up the node in the 1400e terminal first and it alerted me that the v5.xx firmware was required. I found where the alternative was to use the plc5 enhanced setup which also did not work. I am needing to read and write values. Sorry. I missed the required write need in first post but I am told it should work just the same.

My DHRIO card is setup as DH+ as node 46. I have it setup with that node in the 1400e. My processor is in default slot 0 as well. I am using only INT data types per tech note reference. I can also note that I send and upload the 1400e file via the same DH+ connection over network. I haven't set the 1400e to slc since the tech note mentioned CLX or PLC5 enhanced.

I appreciate your time in assisting with this. It seems to be an interesting issue of old too new.

Thanks for that feedback and detail.

The use of DH+ for ControlLogix communications is a bit of a gap in my A-B networking knowledge. My last work with PanelView 1400e was in the mid-2000s converting to PV+. Preparing for an upgrade to a modern PV+ or other HMI should be a part of your project, as a direct replacement 1400e is going to be unavailable or uneconomical when that unit eventually fails.

I don't know if the PanelView 1400e actually queries identity information from its target devices as a sort of electronic keying, or if the error message "Remote station does not match the configured PLC" is inferred from an error reply it gets over DH+.

I suspect it is the latter. Have a look at the old DF1 protocol reference manual, which also serves as a pretty good PCCC protocol reference. Page 7-2 and 7-3 give a good tabular overview of the various commands that are supported by PLC-2, PLC-3, PLC-5 and SLC-500.

If possible, set all the DHRIO settings to default and cycle power to it.

Additional troubleshooting techniques would be to send Data Table Read messages to the ControlLogix from a PLC-5, or to use the OPC Test Client or even the Data Table Monitor feature in RSLinx Classic to be sure that PLC-5 style data tables can be successfully read from that 1756-L7x controller over the desired DH+ port.