PanelMate 1100 String Editing?

pittpanther

Hello all - I am looking to modify some existing PanelMate 1100 applications for a downtime collection project. I just opened the applications in the PanelMate Configuration Editor for the first time, and I can't figure out how to display/edit string variables from the PLC. I need to allow the supervisors to edit a group of PLC string tags that represent the reasons for being down.

I was also hoping to automatically display a downtime selection page based on a PLC trigger, but I don't see how to do this either.

Are these just limitations of this platform? Thanks!

If the PLC logic writes "Shutdown due to E-Stop" to a string variable monitored by the Panel Mate, there's nothing the Panel Mate can do to alter that. It's no different than if the PLC logic writes a constant to an integer variable.

Thanks for the reply Steve. I was hoping to have a PanelMate page that would display 20 possible downtime reasons that could be edited (through the PanelMate), so that a Supervisor could actually specify the names of the downtime reasons (i.e.: "Shutdown Due to E-Stop", etc.)

Steve, I think what he is looking for is the syntax to reference String files in the PLC and whether or not he can edit those with the PanelMate. I never did text entry on a PanelMate and haven't touched one in 7 years.. Is there a text keypad/text entry object?

I know with the Panelview standard, to get the actual characters in a SLC (or PLC-5) ST type file, you must address the string with a .1 delimiter like this: "ST30:1.1".

"ST30:1.0" would be the LENgth of the string.

Its been several years since my last Panel Mate project and I've never done one with the 1100.

The PLC variable to trigger a page change is called the "Page Change Register". In the old Panel Mate configuration software that I have, its located in the "Remote" tab under System Parameters in the project navigator.

In the older Power Series I don't remember there being a keyboard object for text entry. In the HMIs I've worked with more recently, if they support text entry, there will be a pop-up keyboard object. Either that or they might have a USB port where you can attach a keyboard.

Thinking about it a little more, you could roll your own keyboard for the Panel Mate. When you touch the object labeled "A" it could write the ASCII code for the "A" to a PLC memory location. I'm not sure what good that would do if the Panel Mate isn't capable of interpreting the data in PLC memory as anything other than a numeric value. I'm not whether there are any Panel Mate models with that capability.

In the older ones that I'm familiar with when you want to display a text message, the PLC needs to write a number into a memory location. The Panel Mate looks at that number and displays the corresponding message number. You need the Panel Mate software to edit the message text. I know of no way to provide that capability to an operator from the Panel Mate.

Thinking about this some more, and creating my own keyboard seems feasible. Each key could just be a bit down to the PLC, where I could perform the string concatenation(s). Only trouble is, I would still need to display the string that is being built, and I don't even that is possible :(.