panelview 1000 2711-T10C9L1 Comm

The RSlinx driver that I must use to make RSlinx see the micrologix 1000 is the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver?

It depends on which Communications Protocol you set up your PLC to when you created the project. Look at the Channel Configuration on your Offline copy of the PLC Program.

Stu....

It depends on which Communications Protocol you set up your PLC to when you created the project. Look at the Channel Configuration on your Offline copy of the PLC Program.

Stu....

I set the micrologix 1000 PLC comm protocol to DH-485. Since the PLC is DH485, I'm certain that the PC's comm protocol must also be DH485 and can't be DF1. I still would like some assurance though (y).

Can DF1 protocol work with RS485? Since DF1 is a point to point, I guess the maximum # of node is 2? It's pointless to do this since I can just connect the ML1000 to my pc directly. I can try it just to test out my 485 trunk connection though.

I got two 1761-NET-AIC modules and I wired the 485 trunk together. I connected a micrologix 1000 to the first 1761-NET-AIC module and the second 1761-NET-AIC module to the PC's serial port. My goal is to make my PC see the micrologix 1000 which is separated by a 485 trunk.

The RSlinx driver that I must use to make RSlinx see the micrologix 1000 is the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver?

It sounds like you will need the DH-485 Driver. Does your PC have a real hardware Serial Port, or are you using a USB-Serial Converter?

Stu....

My pc has onboard serial port. I successfully connected to a RS232 DH485 panelview using the 1741-PIC driver. Is there a reason why I can't use this same driver to communicate with my ML1000 across 485 trunk?

I believe the Standard ML1000 has a DF1 Serial Port only. AB did make a DH-485 Version, but I have never seen or worked on one.

Stu....

This takes me back... way back....

The original MicroLogix 1000 controllers in 1995 had only DF1 Full Duplex capability. These would be Series A controllers.

DH-485 was added a couple of years later, as well as DF1 Half Duplex Slave.

The controllers could be set for DF1 Full Duplex or DH485 as their 'primary protocol' but would switch to the other protocol if they detected it on the port.

This wasn't perfect: there were some low baud rate exceptions (like 300 baud DF1) and going DF1 -> DH485 sometimes didn't work with only RSLinx connected (there had to be a network with traffic).

Since David said "I set the micrologix 1000 PLC comm protocol to DH-485", it means that his controller must support DH485 and he's configured it to use DH485 as the Primary Protocol.

That *should* allow him to browse the controller using an ordinary 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic.

Maybe if you posted a wiring diagram and some configuration files I could guess further, but from what you've described you should have a little DH485 network with all the nodes physically connected using RS-232.

On the 1761-NET-AIC's, try both "Auto" and "19200" speeds. Don't use any other settings.

This takes me back... way back....

The original MicroLogix 1000 controllers in 1995 had only DF1 Full Duplex capability. These would be Series A controllers.

DH-485 was added a couple of years later, as well as DF1 Half Duplex Slave.

The controllers could be set for DF1 Full Duplex or DH485 as their 'primary protocol' but would switch to the other protocol if they detected it on the port.

This wasn't perfect: there were some low baud rate exceptions (like 300 baud DF1) and going DF1 -> DH485 sometimes didn't work with only RSLinx connected (there had to be a network with traffic).

Since David said "I set the micrologix 1000 PLC comm protocol to DH-485", it means that his controller must support DH485 and he's configured it to use DH485 as the Primary Protocol.

That *should* allow him to browse the controller using an ordinary 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx Classic.

Maybe if you posted a wiring diagram and some configuration files I could guess further, but from what you've described you should have a little DH485 network with all the nodes physically connected using RS-232.

On the 1761-NET-AIC's, try both "Auto" and "19200" speeds. Don't use any other settings.

I used the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and was able to see my panelview 1k which was separated by a RS485 trunk:beer:. Before using a PV1k, I used an ML1000 configured to use DH485 but had no success. I'm sure that problem lied in the configuration of the ML1000 because the whole setup worked fine with a PV1000 DH485.

My ML1k is a 1761-16BBB series E and I configured it to use DH485. Even though it was configured to use DH485, my DF1 driver in RSLINX was still able to see the PLC. This tells me that the ML1000 used DF1 even though I configured it to use DH485. Ken, so you are saying that my 1761-16BBB needs to see dh485 communication packets before it automatically switches over to DH485?

Last edited: