Panelview 550 and SLC 5/02

yani91

I am a college student at Millersville University. I have hooked up a Panelview 550 and a SLC 5/02. The problem I am having is that working with the panelview we are trying to push F1 on the panelview and turning on an output from the SLC 5/02. Everything is hooked up correctly due to long hours with tech support. We are having a problem with panelbuilder and setting it up correctly for this application.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

If you can post your PanelView and SLC programs. You will get better help that way. And complete part no. for both PV and SLC.

What's the part number of the panelview...how is it communicating to the 5/02?

Reason I ask: If it's RIO, the answer is much different than if it's serial or DH485...

In Panelbuilder, you need to create a project with the correct part number from the panelview, establish communication settings, create a new screen, insert a button object, double click to choose a button type, assign tags to the button, (display appearance tag, and write tag) and fill in the details in hte tag database that tell the panelview what address to read/write in the SLC....this is from memory, but hopefully will get you started...

Assigning Tags

Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it. The part number to the panelview is 2711-K5A2. It is connected by DH485. I now am having a hard time determining what to assign the tags, and determining what I should enter in the tag editor. (This is version 2.40)

Have you done any programming in your SLC. If so show us.

hint

input1 Output1
-----| |---------( )--

I now am having a hard time determining what to assign the tags, and determining what I should enter in the tag editor.

survival tip: start small ...

just put one single solitary simple pushbutton on the screen at first ... use something like "JUNKTAG" for the tagname ... aim it at something simple in the PLC (example: B3/0) ... or (example: B3:0/0) ... that's just two different ways of addressing the same bit in the PLC - but sometimes it helps to try it both ways ... make sure that you can download the simple/starter program to the PanelView ... make sure that when you press the button on the PanelView, that the bit status inside the PLC is affected ...

next put a simple status indicator on the screen ... call it "JUNKTAG2" or something like that - and aim it at another bit in the PLC ... download ... then manually change the status of the bit in the PLC and make sure that the indicator changes appropriately on the screen ...

once you can do those "just getting started" steps, then (and only then) is it time to start worrying about the proper names for the tags, etc. ... and remember, you can always change the names later if you need to ...

another tip: in the initial design stages, don't get hung up on the size, alignment, and arrangement of the various buttons and things on the PanelView screens - especially if you're just learning ... get the stuff to WORK first ... then worry about the artistic design ... (the boss ain't going to be impressed with carefully aligned graphics - if he can't start and stop the machinery) ... you can always resize the objects and move them around after you've got them working ...

later you'll need to worry about exactly which buttons, indicators, etc. the operator will need to see on each screen in order to properly control the machinery ... that's when you'll need to start designing an easy-to-navigate menu structure to move from one screen to the next ... and remember, if a button is properly working on ONE screen, then it's usually a simple matter of Copy-and-Paste to put it on another screen too ... and in many cases, it's easiest to get the first button in a series to work properly - and then Copy-and-Paste it to set up the other buttons in the series ... of course you'll have to make some minor edits to the tags involved for each one of the buttons, but you shouldn't have to reinvent the same button over and over again ...

note: if you can't get the simple INNY-and-OUTTY signals that I described above to work, then post again and attach the program files for the SLC and for the PanelView ... we can help, but we need DETAILED information in order to give you SPECIFIC answers ...

Last edited:
Good shakespearian quote, Ron. (Not hijacking the thread here . . . ) But on a related SLC 5/02 & Panelview communication note, I have a 5/02 communicating with a PView 300, model 2711-K3A2L1; and have lost the comm info to the proc, and also the ladder printout in some water damage. I have tried to re-establish communication to the SLC through the pass-through on the DH485 on the Panelview. RsLinx is version 2.43 and am using a 1747-PIC; both through the COM1 port & a UIC. (The newer version PIC, not the original big gray box we all know & love) Although the Tx/Rx lights flicker as if there is communication between the PC-PIC_Panelview-SLC, RsLinx does not show a processor in RsWho. Is there a preferred way to "talk" to the 5/02 through the Panelview 300 via the COM Port in the Panelview pass-through DH-485 on the PC running RsLinx? Many thanks in advance !

I a little confused about how you are trying to connect. You say 1747-PIC and then you say UIC. Can you discribe again the physical connection. And driver
used in RSlinx?

Are the SLC5/02 and the PV communicating ok?

Have you tried to connect to the SLC5/02 directly?

My apologies Mickey. I was able to successfully use the USB version of a PIC, but first had to stop running RsLinx as a service and run it as an application. Communication to the SLC 5/02 is now good. The 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter, with 2 communication options. The unit I have never talks to my laptop - the green USB L.E.D. never comes on, but the power light is on. A replacement for that defective unit is on it's way.