PanelView 600 Error 208

onlymeagain

Hi there, just joined the forum but have been reading for a while. I have searched for my error, but to no avail.

I have a PanelView 600 (2711-K6C3) and an SLC 5/03 CPU. I have a 1747-C10 cable between them both.
I am getting an error 208, unable to write to remote device on my PanelView. I have looked in the terminal setup and the printer is enable for the auxiliary port usage, but the download option is greyed out. Could this be my problem or is it elsewhere?

Many Thanks

On a DH485 PV the printer port is for a printer only , it cannot be changed.

You will have to use the DH485 port or a memory card to upload/download the PV's program.

If the PV already has a program in it, check the baud rate ( must be the same in the SLC) and the node address ( must be different then the SLC).

Is this a working system that just went bad or?

Do you have the hardware to load the PV's program thru it's DH485 port?

error208.jpg

Error code 208 generally indicates that the PLC has responded to the PanelView with a response that indicates it can't perform the requested function. It's not a "network failure" as much as it is a response that says "I can't do what you asked me to do and I'm letting you know".

Unplug the PanelView from the SLC-5/03 entirely; you should get a different error code, with text to the effect that 'Required nodes not found on network'. That proves that you have basic network connectivity working.

The auxiliary/printer port isn't the problem: on that terminal, it can only be used as a Printer port so the Download function being grayed out is normal.

Has anything changed recently on this system; was a new application loaded to the PanelView or the SLC-5/03 controller ? Is the SLC-5/03 otherwise operating the system normally ?

On a DH485 PV the printer port is for a printer only , it cannot be changed.

You will have to use the DH485 port or a memory card to upload/download the PV's program.

If the PV already has a program in it, check the baud rate ( must be the same in the SLC) and the node address ( must be different then the SLC).

Is this a working system that just went bad or?

Do you have the hardware to load the PV's program thru it's DH485 port?

Sorry should have given more information. I have downloaded the program into the PanelView and SLC-5/03.

This is an old machine that we originally sold and a new customer has now bought it. We are on site to install and commission the machine now.

As soon as I booted up the panel I had the error 208.

Error code 208 generally indicates that the PLC has responded to the PanelView with a response that indicates it can't perform the requested function. It's not a "network failure" as much as it is a response that says "I can't do what you asked me to do and I'm letting you know".

Unplug the PanelView from the SLC-5/03 entirely; you should get a different error code, with text to the effect that 'Required nodes not found on network'. That proves that you have basic network connectivity working.

The auxiliary/printer port isn't the problem: on that terminal, it can only be used as a Printer port so the Download function being grayed out is normal.

Has anything changed recently on this system; was a new application loaded to the PanelView or the SLC-5/03 controller ? Is the SLC-5/03 otherwise operating the system normally ?

I unplugged the panleview completely and now I get the error 612, no active nodes found on network.

When I arrived on site, the programs were existing from when the machine was first commissioned a few years ago. The DH485 cable was missing, so I am using a 1747-C10 cable.

As far as I am aware the controller is functioning correctly.

I did have an error when I first arrived. It was an error with S:1/10 or S:1/11. To clear the fault I changed the value in S:1/10 from a 1 to 0. Have I done anything wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

I unplugged the panleview completely and now I get the error 612, no active nodes found on network.

When I arrived on site, the programs were existing from when the machine was first commissioned a few years ago. The DH485 cable was missing, so I am using a 1747-C10 cable.

As far as I am aware the controller is functioning correctly.

I did have an error when I first arrived. It was an error with S:1/10 or S:1/11. To clear the fault I changed the value in S:1/10 from a 1 to 0. Have I done anything wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe of no interest, but now after plugging the cable back into the SLC 5/03, the DH485 light is not illuminated.

The DH485 network LED on the SLC-5/03 controller should definitely be steady green.

It does that when there is at least one other device on the network, so that the "token passing" that determines network access is occurring.

1747-C10 is the correct cable; it goes from the wide "AMP" connector on the PanelView terminal to the RJ-45 style connector on the SLC-5/03.

S:1/10 is the Status bit that tells the controller to "load memory module on memory error". I wonder what the actual fault code was on the controller ?

Can you connect to the SLC-5/03 over the DF1 port to determine what the Channel 1 (DH485 network port) Node Number is ? Maybe the PanelView and the SLC have the same node number.

Can you post the programs for the SLC and the PV here? Zip them first.

The DH485 network LED on the SLC-5/03 controller should definitely be steady green.

It does that when there is at least one other device on the network, so that the "token passing" that determines network access is occurring.

1747-C10 is the correct cable; it goes from the wide "AMP" connector on the PanelView terminal to the RJ-45 style connector on the SLC-5/03.

S:1/10 is the Status bit that tells the controller to "load memory module on memory error". I wonder what the actual fault code was on the controller ?

Can you connect to the SLC-5/03 over the DF1 port to determine what the Channel 1 (DH485 network port) Node Number is ? Maybe the PanelView and the SLC have the same node number.

Ken

The DH485 light is now a steady green, maybe I didn't give it enough time before posting.

I have connected through the DF1 port and it looks like the node address is 1. On the PanelView the node address is set to 2.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help.

I suspect that the controller was configured for a memory module at some point. When the controller found s:1/10 set it then "saw" the EEPROM was invalid or missing and barked at you. By turning off s:1/10, and having the other EEPROM bits cleared, the SLC no longer cares about the EEPROM being missing or invalid.

If you want the EEPROM to be loaded into the SLC when there is a memory error or when you short VBB to GND and unplug the battery, then you must set s:1/10.

If you decide you want the functionality of the memory module, I suggest that you get all your code how you want it, set s:1/10, clear s:5/8, and then store the program to the memory module. After doing that, if hte module is good, you should not see any errors. The drawback to using a memory module is that at any point in time, the program might be loaded from the EEPROM, and your only evidence (aside from differences caused by all the machine data reverting) will be s:5/8 gets set.

EDIT: In your panelview program you are accessing I:2/0 and I:2/1. These addresses don't exist in the SLC program. Looks like they should be changed to I:1.1/0 and I:1.1/1 respectively...looks like they switched from two 16 bit input cards in slots 1 and 2 to a single 32 point card in slot 1. Those are the only two illegal addresses I saw on first glance. If after fixing them you still get the same errors, then there may be other invalid addresses in the PV program.

Last edited:
The basic configuration looks fine: PanelView at Node 2, SLC-5/03 at Node 1, PanelView communications shortcut pointing to an SLC-5/03.

Did anything else change on the system: a firmware upgrade to the PanelView or the SLC, maybe ?

The only thing that jumps out at me as unusual is that the PanelView application directly addresses some Input and Output data file elements; I think that's OK with PanelBuilder32 but I'm not totally sure (and I don't see why it would change from the machine's previous incarnation).

My next step would be to build a PanelBuilder32 application with nothing but a single reference to "N7:0" on a single display, and make sure that application runs correctly on the PanelView.

The basic configuration looks fine: PanelView at Node 2, SLC-5/03 at Node 1, PanelView communications shortcut pointing to an SLC-5/03.

Did anything else change on the system: a firmware upgrade to the PanelView or the SLC, maybe ?

The only thing that jumps out at me as unusual is that the PanelView application directly addresses some Input and Output data file elements; I think that's OK with PanelBuilder32 but I'm not totally sure (and I don't see why it would change from the machine's previous incarnation).

My next step would be to build a PanelBuilder32 application with nothing but a single reference to "N7:0" on a single display, and make sure that application runs correctly on the PanelView.

Ken

I am not aware of an upgrade to the SLC. On the PanelView the original program was referencing a 2711-K6C3 PV600 Color Key, FRN 3.30-3.xx. The PanelView fitted to the machine is a 2711-K6C3 PV600 Color Key, FRN 4.21. I have changed this and downloaded to the PanelView. I still get error 208.

I built an application that references only N7:0 and downloaded. I am still getting the error 208. Does this mean that I have a communication error with my 1747-C10 cable to the SLC? I have tried two different cables and still get the error. Could it be the DH485 port on the SLC?

Thanks for your help.