Panelview 800 and Micro Questions

Naberle29

Hey guys. I've got a Micro850 (2080-LC50-24QVB) and a 7" panelview 800 (2711R-T7T) that I'm working with. I have a couple of issues I'm trying to work out.

First, I always like to verify communications are working between my controller and the HMI. Usually I work with PV+ and controllogix, but this was a project to be done on the cheap. Generally what we do there is setup a heartbeat so that the PV+ internal seconds value writes to a logix tag and we'll monitor that it updates. We'll also use a GSV for comms with other devices to make sure that everything is working as it should. I've yet to find a GSV type function in the micro, and the global connections in the PV800 only has a 60 second max update rate writing out. I tried to setup an external tag with a limited value, then would have the PLC write a number out of bounds in hopes the PV800 would correct the number, but that didn't work. I was hoping I could find a way to link the System Tags to and External Tag, but haven't yet figured out a way to do that. I also haven't seen any way to perform some kind of expression or equation within the PV800.

Any suggestions?

The other issue I've come across is more of an annoyance I think. I tried to setup the structure of the program fairly similar to how I would a control logix, so I have STI's in place of periodic tasks and have a "continuous task" setup by setting the cycle time programmed to 0 ms so it'll run as quick as it can. I setup some of the basic limits and control bits in the continuous portion, but am using them throughout the program. For example, I'm using Jog_Speed in the continuous task where it's going to be used to command an output value as quickly as possible. In the periodic portion, though, I setup the push button control that will increment the value up and down with PV800 pushbuttons. This results in warnings when I build the program saying "JOG_SPEED: Multi-thread access to global variable may need to be surrounded by calls to UID and UIE".

Anyone know of a different way to set this up or work around to quit getting those warnings?

TL;DR:
How can a a PV800 tell when a Micro800 stops working or loses comms?
How can a a Micro800 tell when a PV800 stops working or loses comms?
Should one implement threadlocking with UID/UIE for multi threaded Micro800 applications? What other options are there?

Usually I work with PV+ and controllogix,

You might want to completely ignore any knowledge related to the Logix/PanelView Plus platforms.

Micro800 and PanelView Component are at the very bottom of the automation world hardware/software pyramid.

I don't believe there are any PV Component 'System Tags" which will allow the connected Micro800 CPU to monitor communications; there are no user software predefined 'System Values Get/Set' instructions within CCW and any Internet browser has limited configuration capabilities.

I would not expect but bare bottom functionality and capabilities for your chosen system: turn Outputs On/Off depending of the Inputs' states with some primitive GUI, Security, Recipe, etc. 'features'...:D

I understand that the equipment is bare bones and not the same as controllogix, but I would think there would be a physical way to setup some sort of rolling counter or heartbeat type thing to get what I'm looking for.

I understand that the equipment is bare bones and not the same as controllogix, but I would think there would be a physical way to setup some sort of rolling counter or heartbeat type thing to get what I'm looking for.

I guess I was under the impression you were using a PV Component...It looks like the PV800 (which I haven't gotten my hands on yet) is a little more than a PVC, however a far cry from PV+ (Never thought I was ever going to state this!...:D)

To monitor the communications between the Micro800 and the PV800 you will have to access the PV800 '$SysClockSecond' System Tag and compare the 'fresh' value to a previously read one; if the 'new' and 'old' values are equal declare a 'Comms Fault'; you could use a non-conditional TON Instruction Block and reset it after every successful NEQ (<>) comparison between two consequent evaluations; the TP Preset will be your Watchdog period (6-10 seconds will do).

1. Open up your Micro800 Global Variables spreadsheet and create a new variable (Let's say 'PV800_SystClockSeconds') of INT Data Type.

2. Open up the External tab of the PV800 Tag Editor spreadsheet and Add a new tag (Let's name it 'Micro800_PV800_Watchdog') of the 16 bit integer Data Type with the Address of 'PV800_SystClockSeconds') and the Controller PLC-1 (or whatever you named the Micro800 when you added the HMI to the application).

3. Open up the PV800 Tag Editor Global Connections tab and, within the row containing the System Clock - Second System Tag, in the Destination Tag column point to the previously configured External tag Micro800_PV800_Watchdog'.

Obviously this is all theoretical (I do not have a live setup nor have I ever implemented it as such with the given hardware) but it should work; it will be a little more work programming it with CCW but hey, what would you expect from free software...:D

That's what I had tried doing initially, but unfortunately the max update rate for the global variable (outputs) is only 60 seconds. That in and of itself seems ridiculous, but I guess it is what it is. I was hoping there would be some way to link the system tags to external tags in some other fashion than through the global variables but haven't yet found anything.

60 seconds is ridiculous!...:sick:

Automation Direct C-more EA9 is priced similarly to PV800 (a 7" is $465.00 List) and it sure updates its System Tags more often than once a minute; they have EtherNet/IP (Ethernet CIP) drivers and I have always used them when on shoe string budgets; most of them are still running strong even if in extreme environments...The software is free with a terminal purchase...My $0.02...:D

should i assume that this would be the same case if i wanted to use the $SysCurrentUser Global Connection tag to setup some sort of logic within the PLC that would feedback to the HMI as to which user was logged in currently. As in, if someone logged in it would take 60 seconds to update that tag?!?

should i assume that this would be the same case if i wanted to use the $SysCurrentUser Global Connection tag to setup some sort of logic within the PLC that would feedback to the HMI as to which user was logged in currently. As in, if someone logged in it would take 60 seconds to update that tag?!?

Yes indeed...:D...The PV800 'Globally'(PLC) connected System Tags (including "Current User") minimum refresh rate is 60 seconds...It's not to bad though when compared with a 1 minute 'Comms Watchdog'...

Ya. What was described above would be pretty difficult to inpliment with a 60 second refresh rate. Well I'll just have to set up what I need and see how it shakes down here. I don't necessarily have to have it be an instant feedback to the HMI once a user logs in, but I would have liked it to be quicker then 60 seconds. Oh well.

Well, when the PLC sends something outbound to the HMI it updates quicker. I was using the PLC to control the screens, which was responding quickly. But the stuff that the HMI has to update takes that 60 seconds.

Well, when the PLC sends something outbound to the HMI it updates quicker. I was using the PLC to control the screens, which was responding quickly. But the stuff that the HMI has to update takes that 60 seconds.

The application level response will need to be at or in less than a second otherwise they will never be able to sell the darn thing...:D...

The PV800 'System' Global connectivity though is (almost) useless...Seems that most of the terminal's resources are dedicated to said application layer...Still getting what you pay for...:D

PV800 is the worst HMI we ever worked with mostly due to how bad CCW is. Projects that would take 3 hours in the PV Component takes more than a day with the CCW/PV800 combo. One of many problems is trying to make objects other than text the same color because the color is not shown in the properties box and even if you go into the PB or indicator palette selection box it will not tell you which of the 30 green colors you have selected on that object like PVC would. You have to eyeball it. Then once you select the wrong color there is no apply. You have to OK your way out to see how it looks then start all over again.