Panelview plus 1250 not loading application after power fail

**Bolty**

Gents, I'm trying to get my head around an issue on a panelview plus 1250 and looking for a bit of additional insight.

Until a couple of days ago, if the site had a power fail and the mains was restored, the panelview would reboot and automatically load the application and away we go....but now the panelview is only showing the windows desktop!.

I've not been to site yet so I'm dealing with the issue with secondhand information, but the site op has reset the panelview by pressing the reset button on the side and also by cycling the power but all he's getting is the windows (ce?) desktop showing a couple of icons. At no time does he get the rsview me config screen. No white box on boot etc to access the config screen.

so.. any ideas?.

How can I check if the .mer file is still present on the PV+ (is the folder / file hidden as per normal windows and you need to tell windows CE to search to include hidden files etc?) bearing in mind I can access the usual windows options - explorer etc) and if it's gone, any headaches or pitfalls using the transfer utility?

I'm new to rsview machine edition and rsview studio (but fine with the older panelbuilder software) and am trying to read through as much info as I can so I'm prepared as far as I can be before heading to site next week.

I do have the .mer and apa files for this particular panelview but I'm unsure of which firmware the PV plus is running or what firmware version the files I have are for. (rsview studio on my virtual m/c is 8.10.00)

Sorry not much info to go on at the moment but just looking for a couple of pointers in advance and trying to cover as many bases as I can.

Thanks in advance,

Bolty.

Morning,
So after a visit to site the PV plus is exactly as described - it appears to have lost the Rockwell ME software and won't boot into config mode.
The PV+ boots straight into windows CE and doesn't display any terminal config screen. Using either a keyboard or the default/reset to force the PV+ into config mode fails to work.
Navigating around using windows explorer I can see the Rockwell software folder but it contains nothing. There are no .mer files on the PV+ either.
No mention anywhere of the ME software either. Hmmmm.

I can see the PV+ when I fire up RSView Studio and set up the Ethernet driver on RSlinx Enterprise but when browsing it, it fails to hold the connection for long. One sec I can see it and it's happy, next it's showing as not browsing and has gone from the list. I can ping the PV+ without issue. Driver is set correct IP range and subnet as the PV+

The part numbers are :- Display module - 2711P-RDB12C ser C
Logic Module - 2711P-RP7A ser G and comms module - 2711P-RN6
The internal compact flash is 2711P-RW7 (marked CE/ME 5.00.04)

Could the logic module be at fault or has something happened to the compact flash card?. Would a firmware update restore the CE/ME software and is this easily achieved bearing in mind I seem to be having comms issues.
Can the internal CF card be flashed by removing it or is the internal CF card avalible from Rockwell ready to go?.

Any advice greatly received,

Regards,

Bolty.

The OS and the ME software all get decompressed from their own partitions at boot-up; that's one of the reasons the terminal is relatively slow to start up.

So it's possible that you have a CF card with a damaged partition and that the OS is coming up, but the FTView ME software isn't.

FTView ME and RSLinx Enterprise ought to come from the same sources, and being able to "see" the terminal in an RSLinx browse from out on the network is a very strong indicator that RSLinx Enterprise is running.

On the other hand, showing up and disappearing from a browse while responding to PING is classic duplicate IP address behavior. I don't know if the Windows CE build used by the PV+ in that generation will give you an OS-based IP conflict message.

Try unplugging it completely and PINGing again to verify that it's the sole device at that IP.

The CF card will probably need to be replaced, as the hidden partitions can't easily be restored by ordinary Windows tools.

Thanks Ken.

I suspected the CF card was the likely culprit especially as it happened as the water treatment works swapped over from mains to genny.

The changeover to the standby genny at this site has a history of buggering things up.

Best get onto Rockwell and see if I can get an internal CF card with ce/me installed.

Thanks,

Bolty.