panelview plus 1250 running out of room in memory

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
we have a huge panelview app that we are using. we just added in alot more stuff and now we cant download to the panelview without going delete the mer file currently on the unit. the mer file is 13.5 megs. panelview has a 128 meg compact flash card in the logic module and 128 meg memery chip. has anyone ran into this problem before? when we try and download to it it gives us a error saying that we are out of room. I thought that we could replace the 128 meg compact flash with something bigger.

If you are getting memory low errors while the unit is running then you will need a RAM memory upgrade.

The RAM on the screen is what is running short. If the CF card will hold the file it is big enough. The RAM has to hold the file plus application and Windows CE overhead.

I beleive this is ordinary RAM, but AB will gladly sell you "the good stuff".

RSL

nah, it just gives us a error when we try and download a updated version of the application to the panelview. we then have to delete the file on the panelview before proceeding with the download.

Sorry to rain on your picnic, but for the benefit of others, this is an example of how using standard industrial PCs (panelmount, NEMA 4X, touchscreen, etc) can save you from these silly potential headaches.

surferb said:
Sorry to rain on your picnic, but for the benefit of others, this is an example of how using standard industrial PCs (panelmount, NEMA 4X, touchscreen, etc) can save you from these silly potential headaches.

no need to go off on a rant, it wasnt my decision and it wasnt known at the time that were were going to expand so much in the future. Im just looking to see if anyone has had this problem in the past and found a way to get more capacity.

surferb said:
standard industrial PCs (panelmount, NEMA 4X, touchscreen, etc)

Running what OS ?

I have thrown out several of these this year for customers (they were running on XP) because of windoze being so stable :)

They're PCs - run whatever you want. Often the things run some form of XP embedded or CE, though. No reason you couldn't run Linux or anything else. Consumers in our industry embrace Microsoft, as do the software/hardware companies.
504bloke said:
Running what OS ?

I have thrown out several of these this year for customers (they were running on XP) because of windoze being so stable :)

I wasn't ranting, and that comment about expansion was exactly in line with my point. This kind of thread can be a good lesson learned for others. I would help if I had experience expanding PV+ memory and I wasn't suggesting that you replace it.
no need to go off on a rant, it wasnt my decision and it wasnt known at the time that were were going to expand so much in the future. Im just looking to see if anyone has had this problem in the past and found a way to get more capacity.

Last edited:
Just in case image size are causing part of the problem -

1. Check the image listing and delete any that are not being used. If in the image listing they will still be included in the .mer even if not used.

2. Convert bmp images to jpeg if possible and use them. Move bmp versions out of the image listing.

This won't be a permanent solution but it may help for the moment.

>>1. Check the image listing and delete any that are not being used. If in the image listing they will still be included in the .mer even if not used.

2. Convert bmp images to jpeg if possible and use them. Move bmp versions out of the image listing.

our integraters did #1, not sure about #2. Ill have to ask them

I've run into the same problem with the smaller PV+ 600s when trying to start a firmware upgrade. You can try going into the panelview's configuration mode and deleting the .mer. Just make sure you upload it first in case you still can't download the new .mer :)

As to what Nathan mentioned about industrial PCs, you can get the RSView ME runtime for windows, but you are limited to 75 screens maximum (pv+s have no limit except for memory).

First item to note is it sounds like you are referring to the internal flash memory (not really compact flash). You may want to try installing a compact flash card into the unit (you can get one at Best Buy or even Wal-Mart). This also helps if you are trending data. When you download you will need to select "External Storage 1" under the "Destination Storage Type:" pull down menu. This should solve your issue. I have had very good luck with SanDisk Extreme III compact flash cards.

Darren

dash said:
First item to note is it sounds like you are referring to the internal flash memory (not really compact flash). You may want to try installing a compact flash card into the unit (you can get one at Best Buy or even Wal-Mart). This also helps if you are trending data. When you download you will need to select "External Storage 1" under the "Destination Storage Type:" pull down menu. This should solve your issue. I have had very good luck with SanDisk Extreme III compact flash cards.

Darren

thanks, definitely referring to internal. I knew you could download to the external but can the panelview run off of that external card?

Yes, it can run off the external compact flash. We always install a compact flash card and only load the application to the card. That way if a PV+ fails the customer installs a new one, swaps the compact flash card and is up and running again. It also seems that the internal flash can sometimes become corrupted. We have never had a problem with the runtime file becoming corrupt on a compact flash card.

ok, so we are about to try upgrading the ram memory and the compactflash. compactflash shouldnt be a problem but the memory is a little hard to find. allen bradley wants 600 bucks for the 256mb sodimm ram. has anyone else upgraded the ram? thats mostly what i am worried about.

Somebody has surely tried this since 2008. Any updates?

I have a couple PV+ terminals that I need to upgrade the memory/cf on. I have been thinking about just spending the $50 and ordering a 256mb SO-DIMM and a 256mb cf card and give it a shot. AB wants like $800 for the 128mb versions.