Panelview Plus 7 Communications Issue after Firmware flash

JMalueg

The panelview in question has been installed for over 2 years with no issues. Our facility has an extensive SE installation with a handful of ME applications scattered around. Initially our facility standardized on Factorytalk View V11. We had issues with the SE side of things and Rockwell recommended we update to V12, so all of our workstations now have Factorytalk View V12 installed on them. So when a modification for this particular ME application came through I thought, well we'll flash it up to V12 to make things easier in the future.

Download the firmware, upload a copy of the mer, then flashed it up to V12. Went off without a hitch. The panelview even ran the V11 mer that was on there previously. I had to doublecheck that the firmware was indeed V12.

I then started the modifications. Previously the application talked to a single Controllogix L85 processor, now it would need to talk to 3 more Controllogix L84ES processors. I restored the mer, brought it up to V12 in studio and then rebuilt the communications driver in Linx with the panelview, and the 4 processors we now need to talk to. Set the paths up, copied them from design to runtime, and verified. Hit okay and then added the tags for the new indications that were requested. I created the run time and downloaded it, checking the box to replace the communications setup and run the application on startup. Application starts and there is absolutely no tag data, not even from the original L85. So I double and triple check the paths, they are correct. I try to set the paths down through the backplanes, nothing. I flashed back to V11 firmware and back to V12, nothing. So right now I'm running the V11 mer, but I'm unable to make the modifications that we requested. As soon as I attempt to modify the communication setup in the application, I get no tag data. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I'm missing here?

Previously the application talked to a single Controllogix L85 processor, now it would need to talk to 3 more Controllogix L84ES processors.

Is this a 'Standard' or 'Performance' model PVP7? Standard model is limited to communicating with a single controller.

This will seem crazy...but I've had to do it every time I've edited a communications setup, all the way back to v4 of View Studio.

Reboot your PC that's running View Studio and rebuild the mer file. Then transfer it again.

Edit:
BTW, when I say "every time", I mean literally every time. Across software installs in native Windows XP all they through to WinXP and Win7 (32-bit and 64-bit) VMWare VMs up to View Studio v12.

Last edited: