PanelView Plus or C-More?

Your requriements for the HMI were not very detailed. I also think about the only thing that could get you to change would be cost and factors of reliability maybe.
I was not going to mention another brand because you specifically asked about C-More and I know nothing about them.

I am familiar with Maple Systems: http://www.hmidirect.com/index_productsbyfamily.htm

For this project the Blue series could be a good choice, cost $179 with software at $75. The website offers a demo download of the software and instruction to make a cable or you can purchase one.

They also offer alphanumeric MicroOIT, and the Silver Series which are graphic/touchscreen type.

May want to take a look just for GP, good products that have been around for quite awhile. I have some older model OIT units, system pulls, that are still fully functional

Alaric said:
aside from the chance to learn the platform on a project with a leisure schedule that won't bite my shorts if I take the time to learn it. But that alone won't justify it - there needs to be a distinct advantage.

Alaric,
I have done just that, I don't have the programming experience that you have but I would not pass up the chance to learn another platform, I have the time on this project as well, so that was one of my deciding factors, don't look at just the price of this project, but you need to consider the factor of your next 10 projects.

I have Siemens, AB and Mitsubishi (that I can't spell) and now just got 7 Koyo's over a ethernet (not done yet), but the point being that it will just make you a better programmer and you may even get better with you existing software.

just my 2