Panelview Plus (RSView ME) Capabilities

ndzied1

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application w/ a PV Plus and SLC 5/04. The job requires around 200 recipes which I already have code for to put all the data into number registers in the PLC. I've never worked with the PV+ before and I'm having a little problem wrapping my head around how to manage the recipe names.

I intent to call up the recipes with a control list selector.

I need to let the operator assign names to the recipes. I'd like to keep all the string stuff in the PV+ and I know I can do this with 200 String Input Enabled controls but was hoping there was some sort of macro capability to let me access the names in the Control List Selector indirectly.

Is this possible or is there another way to do this?

Thanks,

I don't mean to make you move to another product, but I have done a few apps with PV+ RsViewStudioME, and the functionality just isn't there, or at least what you are looking for. You can build it yourself, with a lot of work.
I personally would buy Siemens WinCC STD, and a panel. They come with several drivers, depends on which you plan to use. DH+, Dh-485, RS232...whatever.
It has an extremely COOL RECIPE management system. I used to be a PRO_AB person, but the Siemens WinCC is a much better system.
If you are going to use the RsView SE, that is a different story. The PC based architechture will give you a lot more functionality over the Windows CE platform on the PV+'s.
Check the Siemens stuff out before you purchase the panel,
I was just recently at a Siemens Seminar that had the offer to buy WinCC Flex STD for $495.00CAD. Full Licence! Yeah I am not kidding.
Talk to your Siemens Supplier.
The panels are cheaper (less expensive) that AB as well.
They work flawlessly, or as well as AB products do.

kcarlen said:
I don't mean to make you move to another product, but I have done a few apps with PV+ RsViewStudioME, and the functionality just isn't there, or at least what you are looking for. You can build it yourself, with a lot of work.

Unfortunately, the panel is customer spec and not subject to change. If I had my druthers I'd be using one of the new Beijer Exter Panels since our company represents them. They also have built in recipe functionality... etc.

Looks like I'm in for a lot of work.

Yeah Norm. Seems like you have a lot of work. I would call your AB supplier and find out if there is something that we don't know about. It could be possible, there are a lot of smart cookies on this forum. Maybe using indirect addressing or something like that.
I find it hard to beleive that AB does not have a recipe manager template built into their stuff. Maybe RSView32 does.
The other option is to use a RSView Station PC. Then use Macro's to discover and use the data.

The latest version of RSView ME (4.0, aka CPR 7) does include a new Recipe Manager feature.

I'm not sure if the customer spec is written to a specific version of ME, so the latest version may not be an option.

Also, I haven't had the time to experiment with the feature yet, so unfortunately, I can't shed light on whether or not Recipe Manager allows the operator to assign recipe names.

Here's hoping you find a solution that works for you...

Rick

Rockwell has an application example and ActiveX control for RSView ME to handle recipe functionality. It is Tech Note ID A20804. I know you have recipe logic, but maybe this will help. It worked well for my application on a PV+. I am still using RSView ME 3.20 (CPR 6), so I had to add this ActiveX control. But if you have v4, then as Rick pointed out, you should not need to install this.