Panelview550 Flash to DF1?

p_logix

Hello all,

I am working on a project where I am converting SLC 5/04 PLCs to Compactlogix L32E.

The existing panelviews are 2711-B5A8L1.

I have been told that this RS232 port is a printing port and cannot be used to talk to a controller.
It currently talks DH+ to a SLC 5/04.

I have also read around the web that people have had success in flashing these panelviews and have been able to get them to talk to a Logix controller via DF1 but not real clear on how to do this.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thankyou!

The only model of PanelView Standard that I'm sure you can swap firmware on is the PanelView 300 Micro, which has identical hardware identifiers for the DH485 and DF1 versions.

I am almost certain that you cannot load DF1 terminal firmware onto a 2711-B5A8L1, which has all the hardware identifiers for DH+ networking and RS-232 printing.

I've had a look and I don't see any easy way to get a CompactLogix L32E onto a DH+ network without a bridge or gateway. There are no 1769 DH+ modules available to directly link to the PanelView terminals.

You can go through a ControlLogix chassis (1756-EN2T & 1756-DHRIO), but that's a roundabout and expensive way if you don't already have that hardware available. And you sound like you have a few to convert?

Another option is the Prosoft Technology AN-X2-AB-DHRIO (EtherNet/IP to Allen Bradley Remote I/O or DH+ Gateway). I'm not sure on the price of those but I've seen one dubious looking quote for nearly €1,900!

I would seriously start to look at migrating away from the PV550 terminals while you are doing the SLCs. We have 4 x PV550 DH485 models still in service and we had to have two repaired last year by Lektronix. It's great that you can still get parts for them, but relatively costly all the same and it does hold you back from migrating sooner.

Regards,
George

I am almost certain that you cannot load DF1 terminal firmware onto a 2711-B5A8L1, which has all the hardware identifiers for DH+ networking and RS-232 printing.

I looked into doing something similar a few years back with a PV1000, and my local rep said it wasn't possible. They are basically purpose built, so I have 99.9% confidence in you answer Ken. :ROFLMAO:

Another option is the Prosoft Technology AN-X2-AB-DHRIO (EtherNet/IP to Allen Bradley Remote I/O or DH+ Gateway). I'm not sure on the price of those but I've seen one dubious looking quote for nearly €1,900!

I priced one last year for a project that we didn't go ahead with. It was about 2k Canadian at that time. I have had pretty good luck with the ProSoft products.

Stu....

Thanks for the replies.

We currently have a controllogix gateway chassis with 4 DHRIO modules talking to all of our SLC 5/04s. This is used to connect to these processors via ethernet and service OPC tags to our SCADA system.

We are going to convert each processor one at a time to remove it from the gateway.

I was hoping to maintain the panelview550s but it looks like I will be converting them as well.