Panleview 600 factory reset

At the moment I have the error when validating the program:
Tag does not have valid address in the terminals assigned Discrete Block or Block Transfer
Channels.
What address should I have there? I addressed B3:0/0.
Or where is it where I need to address those?

Thanks Mickey.
I used the strait through cable and manage to get online with the PV600.
The next step is the PLC(SLC5/04, L541) to communicate/see it through the RIO.
And thats where I am now stuck.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks Mickey.
I used the strait through cable and manage to get online with the PV600.
The next step is the PLC(SLC5/04, L541) to communicate/see it through the RIO.
And thats where I am now stuck.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

I have never setup a RIO PanelView. So hopefully those that have will jump in.

Read the manual(s) , give it a shot and come back with your question. I'm sure the experts will help out.

Thanks Mickey.
In the meantime I was successful. Lots of different trial.
Looks like I'm coming closer to setup fully, still have a minor issue.
SLC504 CPU green LED, communication ok.
RIO scanner card no fault, COMM LED is steady GREEN. so far so good.
But on the PV600 have error: "Write to Controller logic failed."
I use only 1 bit: B3:0/0, when I press the PV push button, maintained, should come on in PLC ladder.
But It won't. I use the B3:0 bite as READ setting. If I change it to WRITE, getting error: "Tag does not have address in the terminals assigned Discrete Rack or Blcok Trensfer Channels. Somewhere a minor mistake, but where?

It usually helps those to help you if you can post the programs. Both the SLC and the PV.
Zip them first.

Mickey. The PV600 FRN version is 3.02.
DO you think I should upgrade to 4 or higher?
I was looking on AB website but did not find...

Thanks Mickey.
In the meantime I was successful. Lots of different trial.
Looks like I'm coming closer to setup fully, still have a minor issue.
SLC504 CPU green LED, communication ok.
RIO scanner card no fault, COMM LED is steady GREEN. so far so good.
But on the PV600 have error: "Write to Controller logic failed."
I use only 1 bit: B3:0/0, when I press the PV push button, maintained, should come on in PLC ladder.
But It won't. I use the B3:0 bite as READ setting. If I change it to WRITE, getting error: "Tag does not have address in the terminals assigned Discrete Rack or Blcok Trensfer Channels. Somewhere a minor mistake, but where?

RIO Panelviews are a bit of a headache because you have to set up the block transfers properly and then stick to those addresses in your applications.

The base I/O addresses assigned to the Panelview based on its logical rack, group and size are often not enough.

If you set up the block transfers to get more data back and forth, the size of the transfers is critical. The Panelview determines what is what based on the size of the message. This only applies if you have multiple reads and/or multiple writes.

In most cases, you can get enough data with one of each.

Set up a BTW and a BTR, and make them big enough to cover your needs times two (or three). Maybe you only need to read 8 bits for 8 buttons and four values (written by the Panelview) and you need 10 indicator bits and four indicator values...Go ahead and set up the block transfer for 20 words each way. You will be glad you did later when you need to alter something.

I also recommend using a "mirror" pattern. For example: If you need to display a number and you pick "N10:12", and you also need to edit that number, make that address "N11:12". Then you block transfer write in the PLC) could be "N10:0" with a length of twenty, and your BTR can be "N11:0" with a length of twenty. If you have a button controlling bit "N11:0/3" use "N10:0/3" as the indicator for that button. Notice that your indicators must be in the read group (BTW from the PLC) and your control bits and words must be in the write group (BTR from the PLC).

Suppose you want to use "B" addresses for buttons (you could use bits within the N11 group, but maybe you have a preference for B13:0/0 through B13:0/15)... Make sure your BTR for that group of addresses does NOT have the same length as the BTR for the "N11" group.

It has been many years and I don't have the software any more, but those are the general things to keep in mind.

Last edited:
OkiePC, your recommendations are awesome. Very good help, and I tried them.
STill "Write to logic controller failed".
DO you think the FRN3.02 should be updated to 4 or plus or should work with the 3.02?

OkiePC, your recommendations are awesome. Very good help, and I tried them.
STill "Write to logic controller failed".
DO you think the FRN3.02 should be updated to 4 or plus or should work with the 3.02?

I think the firmware probably has nothing to do with it. There may be other things to be gained.

I think your error points to a problem with the block transfers. Double check your logic on the PLC side and make sure the sizes you have set up in the Panelview matches up like it should.

Google led me here:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=17948
I knew more about this stuff ten years ago....

I set N10 length for 100 in the PLC. In PV BTR is 50.
N11 length is 100 in the PLC. In PV BTW 50.
Is the rack number ) or shoudl be?

The BTR and BTW length need to match the sizes in the Panelbuilder32 application. I think 64 words is the limit. The data table size in the PLC can be longer (but not shorter).

In the PLC, you should see the BTR and BTW instructions perform without errors. They also need to repeat, and may need to be interlocked, so they don't happen at the same time.

Last edited:
Yes. Thats the case.
I dont get why the COMM LED on the RIO scanner card is ON, Green, steady, but the communication/address is not right. It took me long time to figure out how to
communicate. Now it does, but still not right.
Interesting thing is the error message popping up not all the time just every, maybe minute, or so. But the PB bit is still not coming ON on the PLC when I press the field button.
I use only 1 bit, thats N10:0/0. Maintained PB. On PV600 is staying on, but nothing in the PLC.