Paperless Maintenance

To bkottaras

• All are comfortable and competent with computer.
It is 2009 right? Ok if you are not comfortable with a computer OK ( can you say do you want fries with that?)

• All have equal access ?
Are we 7 and cant share?

• Manufacturers supply manuals in both PDF and printed version (for backup)
Every manufacturer has online documentation and if they don’t you don’t want there equipment.

• Parts lists are in a separate file and each item listed and findable separately.
With computerized inventory you have a complete B.O.M. for every machine.

• Multiple computers throughout plant no farther apart than 1/4 mile to allow mechanics rapid access to manuals
If you are more than a ¼ mile from a computer you better know why you are there in the first place and be prepared

• Each location able to print out desired print or page
Why would you not go to the problem machine with at least some knowledge of the problem? And be prepared!!!!!!!!!

7. Prints can be on paper up to 24 x 24 so you do not need magnifying glass.
If you need a full plot of a print and NOT BE THE MACHINEST that is going to remake a piece part. You should have that print anyway.

8. Ink on printouts water proof and solvent proof.
Where do you get your manuals that are water and solvent proof?

9. Paper will be flame proof, will not let grease and oil to adhere to it and will be unwrinkled after passing thru a gear or chain drive.
Again where do you get your manuals from? Lol They can run through a gear or chain drive and still be ok? Wow please let the rest of us know your technology please!!!!!

10. Computer will be able to read mechanics mind and give him the page he wants without having to search for it
If the mechanic did a proper job of documentation YES IT DOES READ HIS MIND AND GIVES THE NEXT MECHANIC INSIGHT ON WHAT IS WRONG.

11. Computerized inventory will always be ACCURATE for both number on hand and location.
Computerized inventory WILL BE THE MOST ACCURATE THING IN THERE CRIB!!!!!!!!IF YOU KEEP IT UP TO DATE AND IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Computer is able to find and deliver the right part at the machine
I WILL TAKE A SIMPLE GOLFCART AND PUT TWO ENCODERS ON IT AND WILL PROGRAM IT TO GO ANYWHERE IN YOUR PLANT YOU TELL IT TO GO WITH THE PARTS FOR THE MECHANIC!!!!!!!!! OH SO YES IS THE ANSWER

13 computer will install the part and test run the machine and write the maintenance report.
Again it is all about proper documentation. And no the mechanic is not going to test run that machine anyway. I GARAUNTEE IT IS THE OPERATOR DOING IT!!!!!!!

14. While it is doing all above computer will also ensure the mechanic back at shop is in his lounge chair at right temperature and his coffee cup is always at least half full of coffee or tea at his desired temperature.
EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIS MAINTANENCE PERSONEL SITTING IN CHAIRS PLAYING CARDS!!!!!!!!!!! THAT MEANS THE MACHINES AND PRODUCTION IS GOING!!!!!!! GET A CLUE

I Have to ask. What do you do bkottaras??????????

It is 2009 right? Ok if you are not comfortable with a computer OK ( can you say do you want fries with that?)

Are we 7 and cant share?

Every manufacturer has online documentation and if they don’t you don’t want there equipment.

• Parts lists are in a separate file and each item listed and findable separately.

• Multiple computers throughout plant no farther apart than 1/4 mile to allow mechanics rapid access to manuals
If you are more than a ¼ mile from a computer you better know why you are there in the first place and be prepared

Why would you not go to the problem machine with at least some knowledge of the problem? And be prepared!!!!!!!!!

If you need a full plot of a print and NOT BE THE MACHINEST that is going to remake a piece part. You should have that print anyway.

9. Paper will be flame proof, will not let grease and oil to adhere to it and will be unwrinkled after passing thru a gear or chain drive.
Again where do you get your manuals from? Lol They can run through a gear or chain drive and still be ok? Wow please let the rest of us know your technology please!!!!!

10. Computer will be able to read mechanics mind and give him the page he wants without having to search for it
If the mechanic did a proper job of documentation YES IT DOES READ HIS MIND AND GIVES THE NEXT MECHANIC INSIGHT ON WHAT IS WRONG.

11. Computerized inventory will always be ACCURATE for both number on hand and location.
Computerized inventory WILL BE THE MOST ACCURATE THING IN THERE CRIB!!!!!!!!IF YOU KEEP IT UP TO DATE AND IT ONLY TAKES A FEW MINUTES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WILL TAKE A SIMPLE GOLFCART AND PUT TWO ENCODERS ON IT AND WILL PROGRAM IT TO GO ANYWHERE IN YOUR PLANT YOU TELL IT TO GO WITH THE PARTS FOR THE MECHANIC!!!!!!!!! OH SO YES IS THE ANSWER

13 computer will install the part and test run the machine and write the maintenance report.
Again it is all about proper documentation. And no the mechanic is not going to test run that machine anyway. I GARAUNTEE IT IS THE OPERATOR DOING IT!!!!!!!

14. While it is doing all above computer will also ensure the mechanic back at shop is in his lounge chair at right temperature and his coffee cup is always at least half full of coffee or tea at his desired temperature.
EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIS MAINTANENCE PERSONEL SITTING IN CHAIRS PLAYING CARDS!!!!!!!!!!! THAT MEANS THE MACHINES AND PRODUCTION IS GOING!!!!!!! GET A CLUE

I Have to ask. What do you do bkottaras??????????
Actually, I know how to read for starters!!!!!
Read ALL posts and then point fingers!
The list above AIN'T mine Einstein.

I laughed my *** off too!

Are we 7 and cant share?

EVERY COMPANY IN THE WORLD WOULD LOVE TO HAVE HIS MAINTANENCE PERSONEL SITTING IN CHAIRS PLAYING CARDS!!!!!!!!!!! THAT MEANS THE MACHINES AND PRODUCTION IS GOING!!!!!!!

I think I should clarify a few things

First power to the plant is not an issue we have an ups and 2 generators and we have 2 separate utility supplies. The IT infrastructure is connected to both so it can use both generators and both utility supplies either one. So we could lose 1 generator or utility transformers and computers still work.

All data is backed up by multiple means on site and offsite to 2 locations

If I keep paper manuals here they just get damaged lost pages torn out or left out pages in guys toolboxes etc.

To the best of my knowledge there is no good way to manage paper documents and hold people accountable. Maintenance department is 45 men strong. So there is no way for me to know who left manuals on the plant floor or who removed pages etc.

So the next time another tech goes to use the manual the pages he needs are missing and he has to go print things out anyways.

I would like to get rid of the paper all together if possible. I already have funds to get a laptop for each tech that will reside in his toolbox which will be put on charge at the end of the shift. This will give all the electricians a laptop for plc and drives software and not have to share the 3 in the shop currently.

We already have the wifi infrastructure in place for this

As far as plant floor terminals you can not walk more than 100 feet in any direction and not be in rage of a terminal with printer.

Operators currently clock in on the computers and do maybe 70% of the production documents which we are trying to automate also but that is a different subject.

Prints for each machine are in the control cabinet always have been and always will be. My question is mostly for other manuals for the machine and the machine components of which you only have to refer to every once in a while. In those instances pull up what you need on the laptop or print it out.