Parker 6K4/ Gemini servo ??s

ETCO said:
That is what I said to my boss, I even told them to contact the old engineer who designed this stuff for our shop (he moved on to start is own business, a SMART guy). They said "he figured it out so can you, or get help to do it". That is why I am here, to get help and learn. I am in contact with tech support, but sometimes it is nice to find a forum to ask ?s about real life situations. That is until people like you, whom obviously have too much time on there hands, post a remark like you did. It does not help me at all for you to tell me to hire someone with experience, I am trying my best to get experience. Read the manuals.....NO SH!T! Your post did "BUMP" my post to the top so I thank you for that! So now maybe someone that knows something about this topic can post HELPFUL info, not obvious remarks to get your post cont up.

Cheers
Paul

Paul,

No need to get all in a huff.
At this point, you would be best served hiring someone with experience to guide you through this project.
You obviously are stressed out about it, and at a roadblock. It's either time to dig out the manual and read for hours on end, or hire someone. The GV6K has quite a few quirks to it, but (speaking from my experience) the answers are in the manuals, you just have to RTFM & UTFM.
(Read The Friendly Manual & Understand The Friendly Manual)

Marc

CroCop said:
Paul,

No need to get all in a huff.
At this point, you would be best served hiring someone with experience to guide you through this project.
You obviously are stressed out about it, and at a roadblock. It's either time to dig out the manual and read for hours on end, or hire someone. The GV6K has quite a few quirks to it, but (speaking from my experience) the answers are in the manuals, you just have to RTFM & UTFM.
(Read The Friendly Manual & Understand The Friendly Manual)

Marc

I didnt mean to sound like a jerk, but Yes I am at my wits end with this project and dont want my bosses to think I am a failure, this is one of my first major projects like this. I did not mean to lash out at you directly, it was more blowing off steam. I will make a few calls to see if we can hire someone in to show me the roaps. After this project I am DONE with servos. Back to PLCs, DC motors and good old fashioned gear boxes. (that is how 90% percent of the machines are in this shop)

It's cool.
Having to have a guide on a motion project with servos doesn't mean you are a failure. It means you're inexperienced, and the only way to gain experience is to make mistakes & learn from others.

Good luck.

Assume Nothing

ETCO said:
I dont think this is a wiring issue because it is Parker 6K4 to Parker Gemini GV, cables were supplied. Any ideas for me to look into?

You still need to check the wiring. If the program is the same and the firmware in the two controllers is the same the only difference is the wiring. We have seen this too often. We had a problem once where our supplier changed the cables they were making for us. I think some of the color codes were changed. Since the wiring didn't match the documentation the machine didn't work but the problem was not with the motion controller. Assume Nothing. Make sure the cables are the same. Identical machines should work identically and if they don't then blame the motion controller, NOT. Can use exchange the motion controller with the one that is in the current working machine?

Peter Nachtwey said:
You still need to check the wiring. If the program is the same and the firmware in the two controllers is the same the only difference is the wiring. We have seen this too often. We had a problem once where our supplier changed the cables they were making for us. I think some of the color codes were changed. Since the wiring didn't match the documentation the machine didn't work but the problem was not with the motion controller. Assume Nothing. Make sure the cables are the same. Identical machines should work identically and if they don't then blame the motion controller, NOT. Can use exchange the motion controller with the one that is in the current working machine?

Actually that is a good Idea. I will put the Gemini GV amplifier from the one that works into the problem child. Then I can see if it is wiring or the amplifier.

Funny you mention that because my tech help just sent me an e-mail saying they have seen bad wire sets out of the box.

CroCop said:
It's cool.
Having to have a guide on a motion project with servos doesn't mean you are a failure. It means you're inexperienced, and the only way to gain experience is to make mistakes & learn from others.

Good luck.

Never looked at it that way. I guess I need to man up and ask for the "H" word. I will have a meeting with my boss tomorrow.