password protected SLC 5/03 processor

indubasu

I have a SLC-5/03 processor which has been password protected by somebody and that person left the company long back. Is there any way of getting around this problem. I went into knowledgebase and they suggest keying in 9,4,0, Enter, Ins to get around but thats for a SLC 100/150. would this same idea work for SLC 5/03? Also, I was wondering what are the limitations if the processor is password protected. The reason I am asking is because I have not dealt with this problem myself but have been told by some of the field technicians that the PLC is password protected and they need to know how to get around it.

If you do have the code stored someplace, you can wipe the plc memory and download again.
Make sure you can open up the program off line and there's no password to be entered in order to open it prior to attempting to wipe the processor clean.
When you wipe it out, there's nothing left and the processor will be in the default state, blank, in other words.
If you don't have the actual code stored anywhere then you are in trouble.
There's a simple procedure to wipe the PLC clean and start fresh.
Do a search on here and you'll find it.

If the program is password protected the online edits will be protected too (I assume).
Can you connect to the PLC at all right now? Go online?
Or do you get a prompt asking for password?
If you get asked for password, online edits cannot be made.

Most of the time you can make online edits with a SLC5/03 with the later versions of RSLogix software. You might try using a HexEditor to search the backup files to find the information you are looking for.

If you need to clear the processor completely, see this link, 2nd post. Read the attached pdf file to reset the processor back to factory default.
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36348&highlight=clear+memory+slc

Last edited:
sorry but I made a mistake in understanding what the actual situation is. we have 2 plcs in this facility.. one is a SLC 5/03 which I mntiond earlier. this PLC works fine as I can go online and make edits etc. but there is another PLC which is SLC 5/01, I suppose where you cannot go online or make edits and also cannot upload the program. there is no back up of this program anywhere and this is the one that is password protected. any ideas on what I can do?

I have a SLC-5/03 processor which has been password protected by somebody and that person left the company long back. Is there any way of getting around this problem. I went into knowledgebase and they suggest keying in 9,4,0, Enter, Ins to get around but thats for a SLC 100/150. would this same idea work for SLC 5/03? Also, I was wondering what are the limitations if the processor is password protected. The reason I am asking is because I have not dealt with this problem myself but have been told by some of the field technicians that the PLC is password protected and they need to know how to get around it.
bkottaras said:
If you do have the code stored someplace, you can wipe the plc memory and download again.
Make sure you can open up the program off line and there's no password to be entered in order to open it prior to attempting to wipe the processor clean.
When you wipe it out, there's nothing left and the processor will be in the default state, blank, in other words.
If you don't have the actual code stored anywhere then you are in trouble.
There's a simple procedure to wipe the PLC clean and start fresh.
Do a search on here and you'll find it.
See above.
Your other option is to call the machine manufacturer/builder and ask for the original code.

Indubasu:

Send me a pm with your email and I´ll send you the procedure to get the password.
This procedure is public and i know it works fine, I have used it several times with success.

I don't have a valid copy of the backup anywhere, but I came across an IB1 file somewhere in our drive and from the name of that file, it looks like thats the program. is there anyway I can convert this IB1 file to a SLC 500 project file in order to view it in RS Logix 500?

indubasu said:
I don't have a valid copy of the backup anywhere, but I came across an IB1 file somewhere in our drive and from the name of that file, it looks like thats the program. is there anyway I can convert this IB1 file to a SLC 500 project file in order to view it in RS Logix 500?

Yes, see picture below. Also I opened it and saved it as a .RSS file see zipped file posted below
Note: the file you posted is NOT password protected.

backupfile.JPG

Last edited:
yes but this is an older program (dates back to 1997). i don't even if thats teh rpogram thast running on the SLC 500 fixed processor. at least we can use this file to go online with the processor and upload the logic...but then if the processor is password protected, going online is another issue.

Have you tried the others suggestion of using a serial port monitor yet? This is what you will have to do to clear the password. Why muck around with files you are not quite sure on? Off ya go...