PIC causing memory clear on Fixed SLC?

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
A few days back Bubba and Cletus connected to a fixed IO SLC500 through a PIC using a desktop with a serial port. As soon as they plugged it in the PLC faulted. They were unable to go online with the PIC.

I went down and went online through a 1747-UIC and found out that the memory of the SLC had been cleared. Bubba and Cletus said that all they had done was plug in the PIC and I don't have any reasong to not believe that. I bought Bubba and Cletus a 1747-UIC for their laptop.

Now I am wondering if the PIC was faulty and should just be tossed in the garbage. Has anyone here ever seen or heard of anything similar?

I had a 5/03 clear the memory with a PIC a couple years back. Thing went in the trash and we got the UIC.

I'm not real fond of the old school PICS anyhow.

Thanks Marc. I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. Now I know. The PIC is going in the compactor. There is really no need to keep it anyways because you have to lug a desktop around to use it. We have one on a cart, but everyone prefers the laptops.

A couple of years ago I lent a really old 5/02 that I had kicking around my garage to a kid I knew going to the local university for his senior project. I got the company to lend him that PIC. I wasn't able to estabish a connection to the 5/02 and I assumed the 5/02 was bad and got the company to lend him a 5/04. We haven't used the PIC since then until several days ago. Now I think the problem was the PIC.